American Polaris LP To NG Conversion - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

American Polaris LP to NG Conversion

This is really more of a statement than a question, but when I was researching this problem (that I knew was possible) I had trouble finding the answer I was looking for. I don't want anyone else to have problems, so here it is. If you are looking for info on Polaris water heaters and how to convert them to NG from LP or vice-versa, read on...

I really like our Polaris water heater. It is efficient and runs our radiant floor heat system and our domestic hot water with no problems.

My only beef is with the manufacturer. We recently had natural gas lines run by our home and wanted to switch from propane to LP. American's support team told 3 different heating companies that it was IMPOSSIBLE to switch them over, that I would have to spend $2800 for a new machine. If you research carefully, you will find they are full of beans. I found another gentlemen who had done the switch himself and then finally found an HVAC professional who knew enough to research it beyond the company line from American Polaris.

The only difference between an LP and a NG Polaris is the gas valve (check the parts list, you will see it is true). American would not sell me a NG gas valve because my serial number wasn't an NG serial number. The bottom line is that Honeywell makes the gas valve -- just like the do for dozens of other companies that allow for LP to NG conversions. If you get a VAL 3200 gas valve (made by Honeywell) through a Lochinvar representative, you will find it IDENTICAL! My HVAC pro installed it, adjusted the pressure per the Honeywell specs, tested it out and it is running great.

Yes, I won't be able to make a warranty claim on the gas valve, but it expires in 2 months anyways! Don't let them fool you into buying another one of their machines!

Advertisement

Last edited by MTMan; 04-04-2013 at 12:16 AM. Reason: spelling error.
MTMan is offline   Reply With Quote