DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Amateur Question

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  SULTINI 
#1 ·
Hello,

I would like to recess mount my TV inside the wall.

the problem is that there is a rather large vertical duct that is preventing me from doing this.

Is there a way (or is it allowable) to decrease the diameter of the duct for a run of say 5-6 feet to allow for enough room for the TV to go into the wall?

John

#4 · (Edited)
Restrict the airflow and you will overheat the furnace and freezeup the airconditioner. Buy a large flat panel plasma tv and a special wall mount and charge your buddies for watching football and hockey so it pays for itself.:thumbup:

#8 ·
I don't know if it's a supply or return duct.

I know very little to nothing about HVAC

all i can tell you is that the duct is square/rectangular in shape.

It runs vertically, and is about 2 1/2 feet long by about 1 1/2 feet wide (approximately) and has insulation around it.

Don't know if this helps.

-John

#9 ·
Is your unit in the attic. If it is insulated then it is a supply duct and no you cannot reduce it. Only way to know for sure what can be done is to call a HVAC contractor and get some advice. Not all of them know what they are doing or how to size ducts so I would leave well enough alone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.