Amana Vs Goodman Vs Rheem - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2007, 10:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Amana vs Goodman vs Rheem

I had a Carrier Heat Pump unit that went out on me last week. I have gotten three quotes to install a new A/C and I am going to just have the air handler heat my home with the new system (no more heat pump). Which was suggested to me both the two guys I got quotes from, since I live in Nebraska and that heat pumps aren't really made for our cold winters.

One guy quoted the Goodmen and Rheem and a different did only the Amana. They both said that Carrier are not that good of units, but I have read online they are one of the best?

My three quotes are:
Goodmen $3700
Rheem $4500
Amana $5700

This includes everything (installation, etc.) I am pretty new at this and any ideas/feedback on which company is good, etc. would be great!

Thanks!

Advertisement

Last edited by billyrayvalentine; 05-10-2007 at 12:00 AM.
billyrayvalentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:01 PM   #2

Rheem is good, Goodman is a low end unit, Amana is good. You might also want to consider Trane/American Standard [sister units the AS usually sells for less] which are IMO very good quality. Avoid the Carrier/Bryant brands [again sister units]; contrary to what you may have read, they are too problematic. Another issue is the decision to stay with refrigerant 22 or buy a system with refrigerant 410A. Also, what kind of heat will you have? With your current heat pump, the size of the electric heat is for second stage, defrost cycles and emergency heat. If your new system will be all electric heat, make sure it's enough kw to heat the house. That may also invoke the issue of whether or not the electric supply to the air handler is large enough.

Advertisement

jhd1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:47 PM   #3
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Rewards Points: 500

Hi billyrayvalentine

Goodman and Amana are the same piece of equipment. It turns one way and has a Goodman sticker put on it and the other way has the Amana nameplate put on it. They come out of the same factories and are the bottom of the barrel. Rheem and Rudd are the same company and are excellent pieces of equipment. I am one of those firm believers in you get what you pay for, I would personally have gone back with a Carrier. You are going from the top of the line to a builders model, trust me if you chose the builders line over the Carrier, you will see a difference in both performance and reliability.

Good luck
Rusty
Old 11-08-2009, 07:22 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

if Amana and Goodman are the same unit then the #'s are screwy. could be % of units sold are higher or lower resulting in more or less blogs. it 's like Consumer Reports, a lot of times they'll list one appliance over another but they're the same appl. same manf. but due to marketing the model #s are different. also, in any given year a manf might be having a problem with a certain line, so one year everybody loves it the next year it's the pits. how does one tell?? i would posit; find a good servicer, go with what they say, good servicers don't want to work on inferior products. any problems, they'll be there for you.
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:34 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Pick the best installer first and foremost!!

If it's the first guy, then I'd choose Rheem over Goodman.

If the second guy is the better contractor then go with the Amana brand.
hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
if Amana and Goodman are the same unit then the #'s are screwy. could be % of units sold are higher or lower resulting in more or less blogs. it 's like Consumer Reports, a lot of times they'll list one appliance over another but they're the same appl. same manf. but due to marketing the model #s are different. also, in any given year a manf might be having a problem with a certain line, so one year everybody loves it the next year it's the pits. how does one tell?? i would posit; find a good servicer, go with what they say, good servicers don't want to work on inferior products. any problems, they'll be there for you.

The difference bwtween Goodman and Amana Is the Amana has a lifetime replacement on the entire furnace should the et ex go bad.

Plus the Amana name has more snob appeal because they didn't have the Janitrol legacy to drag them down as Goodman does.

Is Goodman the same same mediocre unit that it was ten years ago?

Absolutely not. It is as worthy of any prospects attention as an other unit.

I have seen more problems with Carriers and Bryants due to their proprietary components, same with Lennox, because they are hard to get parts for unless you are a Lennox dealer.

Last edited by hvaclover; 11-08-2009 at 01:31 PM.
hvaclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyrayvalentine View Post
I had a Carrier Heat Pump unit that went out on me last week.
How old did it get to be?

If you do a dotplot of the bids
a Goodmen $3700
b Rheem $4500
c Amana $5700

...............a...b..c
0...|...|...|...|...|...|
........................$6k

they don't much cluster together

I'd get enough bids to see a cluster or
assume b is the right price or
assign credibility factors to each contractor. More credibility = lower adjusted price 'cause you're getting more value for your money.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 11-08-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 880

I think BillyRay bought one in the last 2.5 yrs he had to "shop" around. LOL
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,730

LOL...
A revived thread from May of 2007.

If he was foolish enough to just get straight A/C with electric heat. Hope he has real cheap rates.

Second. Goodman and Amana were not, and are not the same thing. Unless you get the Amana Distinction line. Then it is just a relabel Goodman

The high end equipment is different.

Goodman incorporated a lot of Amana's technology into Goodman equipment.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #10
Hvac Pro

"Goodman incorporated a lot of Amana's technology into Goodman equipment."
And that's a good thing!!!
Old 11-08-2009, 04:33 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
"Goodman incorporated a lot of Amana's technology into Goodman equipment."
And that's a good thing!!!
ROFL, it sure as heck is!!!!!!!
Old 11-09-2009, 03:02 AM   #12

Yer both nutz ,,,,
Old 11-09-2009, 12:55 PM   #13
Hvac Pro

It takes one to know one. LOL. Where ya been hidin?
Old 02-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #14

I'm new to this but here is what I know. I live near Annapolis Maryland. I had a Carrier HP in my 2200 sq ft home for 17 years (never liked it). Had the condensor coils welded twice for leaks due to the dog pissing on it. Replaced the 3 way valve 2 times. The thing finally rusted itself to death. It always seemed to be too small of a unit to heat or cool properly. Next I bought ($1700.00 installed) an 11?seer Rudd which lasted for 13 years and the condensor motor went. Changed the 3 way valve twice in it. Replaced the condensor fan once. A good unit as far as heating but left more to desire when in cooling mode. 2008 I bought an 18 seer Amana ASZ 180361 condensor and an Amana AEPF 303616 evaporator ($4900.00) installed with the Amana complete parts/labor free warrantee of 10 years. Within the first 6 months the entire condensor unit was replaced by Amana due to the condensor fan not running. The Amana factory Rep required the replacement of the condensor unit. I had the installer out to my house so many times to check out my new Amana that I felt embarrassed. They never complained. Bottom line is, I am happy with the total price of the Amana. Very happy with the Amana warrantee. It seems to be working pretty good. Most of all, I'm happy with the people who installed it. They did a great job and having to put up with me.
PS. I do not like my Vision Pro 8320 U1008 thermostat. Got to go eat but will ask questions on the programming of that soon.
RJS21037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:12 AM   #15
An old Tradesmen

The Rheem line of heat pumps have always been very sensitive to charge. Lots of techs don't know how to check charge properly. And then either the heating or the cooling won't be right.

Advertisement