Amana SPCG300901A Ignition Control Board Bypass - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Amana SPCG300901A Ignition Control Board Bypass

I've got an Amana SPCG300901A model packaged unit. The Ignition Control board has diagnosed as bad by an HVAC tech. The tech tells me the part can't even be ordered until Mon. which I find hard to believe when I've located it online myself at acpartsdistributors.com. I believe he just didn't want to deal with it across the holiday, but that isn't a fact, just an assumption on my part.

Any way, my question, looking at the schematic it seems I could bypass the board just for a few days until I can get it repaired. If I could get voltage to the igniter with an alligator clip connector, just long enough for the unit to fire? I could turn it off at the thermostat once I have the house up to temp? I just can't figure out where the safe place to pull the voltage from would be. I think I could just go from L1 & L2 leads that are currently connected on the board to the igniter leads? Any ideas? I'm attaching the schematic.
Attached Thumbnails
Amana SPCG300901A Ignition Control Board Bypass-amana-spcg24-36xx1a-scematic.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by Peacedog; 12-01-2013 at 12:34 AM.
Peacedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

I wouldn't try it. Ignition controllers have sophisticated flame safety devices that safeguard against issues that can result in property damage, injury, out ultimately death.

My final thought is no, don't try it. You should order a new ignition controller that is a compatible, recommended replacement for the old module. They range anywhere from $50 all the way up to $500

Advertisement

ModelAFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #3

Thanks for confirming my suspicion. I did fear that the safeties wouldn't engage with out the board, but wasn't sure.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

What type of ignition controller does your furnace have?

Take a picture of it. Being a packaged unit, I'm almost certain it's a Ignition Controller (and not a Integrated Furnace Controller.)
ModelAFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #5

It's a Novar C6485807 controller. Pic attached. It's a sales picture, the board in my system is covered partially by the transformer and I couldn't get a clear shot of it.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacedog View Post
I've got an Amana SPCG300901A model packaged unit. The Ignition Control board has diagnosed as bad by an HVAC tech. The tech tells me the part can't even be ordered until Mon. which I find hard to believe when I've located it online myself at acpartsdistributors.com. I believe he just didn't want to deal with it across the holiday, but that isn't a fact, just an assumption on my part.
I'm sure you have it all fixed by now, but going forward, would ordering the part yourself have been an option? Fedex can get it to you overnight if needed. However, just keep in mind that some HVAC companies will not install parts provided by homeowners. So your back to square one. You would have to ask the HVAC tech if it's an option. I can't understand it either, usually they can get these parts overnight just as you could. Just a thought for next time.

Last edited by jmon; 12-04-2013 at 11:39 AM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
I'm sure you have it all fixed by now, but going forward, would ordering the part yourself have been an option? Fedex can get it to you overnight if needed. However, just keep in mind that some HVAC companies will not install parts provided by homeowners. So your back to square one. You would have to ask the HVAC tech if it's an option. I can't understand it either, usually they can get these parts overnight just as you could. Just a thought for next time.
Thank you, yes it was an option to order the part myself and install it myself, I just didn't have the knowledge at the time to do so. Tracking down the part numbers and cross referencing, etc. to make sure I didn't buy the wrong thing just wasn't within my capabilities at the time. I have the service manual now which I didn't have then and know quite a bit more today than I did last week about the parts, cross referencing, etc. I'm much more confident now that I will be able to locate and order the correct parts for my unit and am keeping a running list of part numbers for things like the board, igniter, flame sensor, etc. for future use.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Peacedog For This Useful Post:
jmon (12-04-2013)