Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

aluminum evaporator coil for home A/C

I would like to know more about buying an aluminum evaporator coil for my home A/C. I am so tierd of getting taken advantage of by A/C companies. I just threw $290.00 worth of freon in the air by not realizing that only a pound or two could tell leaking or not. Please help me to purchase aluminum coil instead of copper. Kat Toler thanks so much. win689surf25@yahoo.com

Kat Toler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,712

it's not that simple. depending on the age and SEER rating of the outdoor unit and coil itself it may be obsolete. also depends whether it uses a TX valve/ thermostatic exp valve or fixed orifice or capillary type line to control the freon. has nothing to do with aluminum vs copper but the quality of the manufacturer. both have problems. post the brand name, model and serial of the outdoor unit and maybe we can age it 4U.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #3

Thank you so much Yuri. CHPF 1824A6 Is there a difference between the aluminum lasting longer or is it that it is cheaper? I read up, that if I use the aluminum the combination of freon mixed with the condensation makes acid which pokes holes in the copper. And now the copper is being made thinner for a better heat exchanger. Where can I purchase this aluminum coil? I have all of the model and serial and make for this unit. I certinally have been a lost goose. I am a retired paramedic and on a fixed income. Thank you so much for responding to my post. God Bless you! Kat

Last edited by Kat Toler; 08-01-2011 at 09:14 PM. Reason: model #
Old 08-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,712

there is no such thing as freon mixing with the water to make acid. got to be real careful what you read on the internet, lots of posers and wannabees out there ( I should go pretend to be a doctor and give health advice on the net). the copper coils are unfortunately being made thinner as the price of copper is so high that ALL the manufacturers are thinning out their coils. There is no real advantage to trying to find a aluminum coil as it is a softer metal and from vibration will spring a leak sooner than copper. Post the brand name and complete model and serial # of the outdoor unit, not the coil and we may be able to age it for you. Copper will turn green and get corroded (externally not internally where the freon is) after 15-20 or more years naturally as it sweats from cooling and removing moisture from the air and could develop a leak but by then the coil is obsolete and the outdoor unit worn out so you buy a whole new more efficient system.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:29 AM   #5

Thank God for you, Yuri. There really is a difference between not knowing and being stupid, like me. Well, I will get you the information tomorrow as soon as I get up. I am crippled in my back and will go down stairs and get it first thing in the A.M. Funny that the guy that came today, offered me $1810.44 for just replaceing the coils or a whole new unit in the attic for a mear $2250.38 and thats with tax. I do know that it is a Fridget Air. But, be sure I will get the correct information for you, my friend. I dont have anyfriends on the internet. Would be proud to be a friend to you. Thank you so much and God Bless you.