Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

altering HVAC flow levels?

I've got an issue, essentially I'm wasting electricity because my hvac isn't working uniformly (or my bedroom is putting out too much heat!).

Basically, I like my bedroom at 72 at nighttime to sleep, but to get it to that, the rest of the house needs to be colder. Clearly this is inefficient, keeping the rest of the house colder than necessary just to get my 72 in the bedroom.

Is there any way of 'prioritizing' my room in regards to AC flow? I'm thinking that if a larger % of the air being pumped made it to my room (the furthest room from the fan/blower), the issue would be resolved. Unfortunately, the only idea I have to accomplish that would be to close/almost-close the vents to all the other rooms, restricting their flow, thus forcing more flow to my room, if that makes sense .

Any ideas or tips on how to do this? I just hate having the rest of the house colder than necessary due to needing my bedroom a certain temp, so wasteful .

joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

There are a cou[le of ways. One, install a zone system on your duct work. Put your bedroom on it's own zone. Two, install a mini split heatpump in your bedroom so it will heat or cool your bedroom only. Either way, it's going to be expensive.

sgthvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:41 PM   #3

so there's only real builds/modifications that'll cost money, there's absolutely no way of simply altering flow? I guess I figured, based on normal airflow and such, that simply altering stuff could make that difference...

(now that I think about it, I know I'm right - think of it like this: what if I were to go to the most extreme, and simply have 1 intake, and 1 outlet, with the outlet in the bedroom - that would clearly keep the bedroom the coldest of the house, so there's definitely more to it than you were letting on)
Old 04-28-2008, 01:52 PM   #4

(just thinking of it further, let me present an extreme - what if I just simply closed every single air vent *except* the bedrooms? That'd force all the air from the blower through my room 1st, which would should have the result I'm looking for, no?)
Old 04-28-2008, 05:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Sure you could, but to what damage to the compressor? Refrigeration is very dependant on air flow to ensure the compressor is not destroyed by liquid refrigerant getting back to the compressor. Why do you think it's important to keep your filter changed or your blower clean? because of restricting air flow across the coil or heat exchanger (if you had a gas furnace).
HP,AC, and furnaces are all design to have a certain amount of cfm's to operate at their peak effiency and to get longer life out of your system. You obviously can do what ever you want, but at what long term effect. By the way, other points about airflow, restricting airflow will also cause the indoor coil to ice up, heat exchanger to over heat in winter and rust up during summer, and stress out the compressor to name a few.
Personaly, I would do it the right way.
Another note, you can adjust the registers some but again you need to be careful about resticting the airflow too much

Last edited by sgthvac; 04-28-2008 at 05:17 PM.
sgthvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:34 AM   #6

I see, I had no idea hvac systems operated at any real pressure levels (just ignorance I guess, I just figured that how thin those tubes are, can't be much real pressure, so forcing it to preferentially hit 1 room didn't seem like it'd ever give any real backpressure increases to the blower that'd be an issue, but I'm clueless on this so if you say that's the case, I'm not gonna touch it I guess! Just really surprising to me that, if all the vents are partially closed, that kind of backpressure is enough that'd actually afffect the unit, still a lil unsure whether it's really strong backpressure and I'm not seeing it that way, or the units themselves are just super sensitive and the tiniest increase in backpressure will hurt them badly - could you elaborate which? <<sorry about all the questions, I like to really understand what I'm doing/considering>>
Old 04-30-2008, 11:13 AM   #7
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sealing off vents will, at the least, result in reduced efficiency of your AC unit. It's not rocket science, but it's a lot more complicated than you might think. Google "Air conditioning" and "science" you'll find more than a few scholarly discussions.

Fix this problem on the cheap - get a window unit for your bedroom. There are many of quiet, efficient models available. Running one window unit will cost you less than either running your house system inefficiently or breaking it.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:22 PM   #8

good stuff, so no quick fixes here!! Never are, are there? lol jk

Sorry, got another one!! Is there any 'intermediate' level fixes, even if they'd need to be done by an HVAC guy? For instance, changing 'terminals' in my attic, tubing sizes, etc? Or is it the way it is, no matter what, if I don't want to add a window unit or break my unit (by my idea haha!)?