Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #1

Share |

All electric or a gas furnace

I am building a 60 x 40 house with an attached 40 x 40 garage. Should I go all electric or use a gas furnace. Which is better. I live in Illinois and am on Norris electric. All opinions appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum

Hendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Depends on the cost of utilities. If a large enough lot, there is always Geo-Thermal. Otherwise, Heat pump is the best route to go with, especially with the huge rebates you can get through your utility & on your Tax Return.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
Experienced

I would recommend gas everytime, if you are on natural gas, propane is a big cost variable, typically NG is less expensive to operate and there are units today with efficiencies as high as 98%. A heat pump is not a good solution for the northern climates, they don't work so good when winter temps crash.

Mark
Old 07-08-2011, 11:48 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Jackofall1, the OP lives in Mid-Southern IL, so in reality, a Heat Pump would be a better solution, with Geo-Thermal being the best. His supplier is a part of the Touchstone Energy group, so they are best to find out what rebates are offered, and then go from there in what gives the best payback for the long term. Especially depending on how long they plan on living there after they install the new unit.

Since it is a rural area they live in, I would opt for a Hybrid Heat-pump, or Geo, before going with a conventional system.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:33 AM   #5
Experienced

Yup your right, I only saw Illinois, and when I saw that I thought Chicago area, the state does have southern reaches, I guess Norris Electric was the key to the location.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:39 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

I had to go look up Norris Electric, due to never heard of them, but have heard of Touchstone, which are like Com-ed, which they buy up everything they can like Locust devouring fields.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:11 AM   #7

If it were me I'd do both. Get a Gas furnace with a Heat pump. That is what I have and I love it. If you are going to get AC anyway, spend the 300-500 more and get a heat pump!

Heat pump heat costs 1/2 as much as gas in utility costs. Gas costs 1/2 as much as resistive backup heat.

I would not do just a heatpump with electric backup. This is the main reason heatpumps get bad wraps. You save money in Illinois using your heat pump in March, Apr, May, Sep, Oct, Nov.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate...s#Temperatures

if you just got a heatpump with electric backup heat you would save a bunch of money during these months, and then blow away all your savings Dec, Jan, Feb to the point it costs more than gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo View Post
I am building a 60 x 40 house with an attached 40 x 40 garage. Should I go all electric or use a gas furnace. Which is better. I live in Illinois and am on Norris electric. All opinions appreciated.

zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:14 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

Zootjeff, April through Sept. are the most humid months here in Illinois, and I can tell you right now, this year has been a ***** with humidity. May, through early July so far this year has seen high heat indexes, with long runs for just A/C.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:16 AM   #9

Yes I live in mid southern part of Illinois. I would to use the geo thermal if I can afford it. I will have to do more research on it. My dad has a gas furnace and he uses alot of ga through out the year that's why I asked everyone here what they thought. Thanks for your opinions. I will let you know what I go with.

Hendo is offline   Reply With Quote