Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Air Vent Replacement

Hey, I'm back!

Two years ago I had a problem with a lot of air in my baseboards (see this thread: Help with bleeding air out of baseboards). I was able to bleed most of the air out at that time, but had the same problem last year. So I bled it over and over and it worked through the winter.

It got cold here lat week so I turned on the heat. It worked fine downstairs, but nothing upstairs. I called an HVAC guy who's worked in my house in the past, he came today and bled the upstairs zone and got the heat working there again. He said that the automatic air vent isn't working, it was leaking water and somebody had closed it completely so it wasn't venting at all. He didn't have the correct part with him today and said he could come back to swap it out, but said that it was pretty simple and I could probably do it myself.

What I have now looks like this:

So my questions are... Is it something I should attempt myself or let the pro do it? Do I need to drain the whole system in order to replace this? There are no valves near where it's installed so I can't isolate it from the rest of the system.

mikelbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Air Vent Replacement

if you need to ask..... maybe a pro should do it...... or get an umbrella and go for it...... seriously its not that hard ...you may have to drain system down a bit though...

carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Air Vent Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmon View Post
if you need to ask..... maybe a pro should do it...... or get an umbrella and go for it...... seriously its not that hard ...you may have to drain system down a bit though...
LOL thanks. I wasn't sure if I needed to drain it or not. The pro is supposed to call me today or tomorrow with a price, if it's not too much I'll just have him do it.
mikelbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 510

Air Vent Replacement

I change them live...have to be real quick with getting the old one off and the new one on. Usually a little water on the floor (I put a towel down). The proper way would be to shut off the boiler switch, turn off the infeed water makup valve and release the system pressure via the boiler drain, then change it. If you have zone isolation valves you could shut them down instead and change it. Might be a small spurt of pressure that way
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote