DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   HVAC (
-   -   air supply inlet jargon (

Glevin 02-27-2011 12:08 PM

air supply inlet jargon
What is the difference between nonmechanical and mechanical air supply?
I am investigating purchasing a tankless water heater. When deciding location, horizontal vent location appears to be a big issue.

The distance between the "HVAC air supply inlet" and the "water heaters concentric, combustion air inlet" differs between mechanical and nonmechanical air supply inlet systems.

My HVAC unit is in the basement. I have a duct (?fresh air?) going from outside to the return plenum before the filter. Would this be considered a nonmechanical air supply inlet?

Thank you.

hvac benny 02-27-2011 12:28 PM

Since the intake is connected to the furnace ducting, the fan's operation will draw the air in. Therfore, it is a mechanical inlet.

beenthere 02-27-2011 01:26 PM

Yep, benny's right, its considered a mechanical ventilation.

Subcooled 02-27-2011 05:06 PM

Non mechanical = Passive
Mechanical = Powered

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 AM.