Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2006, 09:57 AM   #1

Share |

Air Leaks

I had a pellet stove insert installed in a wood burning fire place. Installation included a nice looking panel that covers the opening of the old fireplace. When the stove is on it does a great job of heating the house; however, when the stove is not on there is a constant wind that comes down the smoke stack causing a breeze throughout the house. I pulled the face plate to see why I get the wind. There is nothing behind the insert to stop the wind. Is there something I can use to block the area off that would fill in the space and not be a fire hazard?

dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:21 AM   #2

Air Leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne View Post
... when the stove is not on there is a constant wind that comes down the smoke stack causing a breeze throughout the house.
Was a chimney liner installed with the pellet stove?
Is there a chimney cap?

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:16 PM   #3

Air Leaks

I was not here at the time but the wife said she thinks that is what the guy put in. The smoke stack from the stoke was small so put something in she thinks was a liner and she says he did put a cap on. The guy who installed the stove at the time worked for the store we bought it from.
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:25 PM   #4
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Air Leaks

Hi dwayne

Most pellet inserts have a combustion air intake as well as a flue. We have had compaints of this sort, There are two ways to remedy this, one is to put a double liner in flue and terminate them both above the flue cap. If you chose this method, make sure flue is at least 12 inches higher than the air intake. The second way to remedy this is if you use a low wall intake, use a aluminum dryer vent with the full hood, to use this method you will need to either take the air damper out or modify it to pull in when unit is in operation. Either way make sure that chimney cap is sealed down good and is sealed good around pipes.

Good luck.
Rusty
#CARRIERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote