Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #1

Share |

Air intake for furnace is freezing the house

I am new to posting, so please bear with me....

Our H/W heater and HVAC are in a louvered door closet and louvered door from the house to the laundry room with the HVAC closet. There is a open 8 in diameter duct to the attic to provide combustion air for the furnace and H/W heater.

The room also houses the washer/dryer. The winters in Colorado are brisk to say the least. I am on a mission to eliminate as much bypass air leakage into the house. How can I address issue without killing my family with CO poisoning?

I have replaced the louvered door to the laundry room with a solid door with a 1.5 inch gap. I plan to seal that gap, but don't want a freezing laundry room.

Any help here would be much appreciated...

eddy

eddyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #2

who installed the 8" fresh air duct? was the room ever run without that fresh air duct? do you have a furnace or is that a heat pump? is the room insulated and if your doing natural gas furnace heating thatis 2 flue pipes within that room should keep it above freezing...not saying you won't see your breath doing the laundry.the chill in the attic is dropping like a rock down that duct for sure..if the utility room is louvered it can be that tight

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Get a 5 gallon bucket, and set it under the combustion air pipe. Extend the pipe into the bucket, so that it stops about 6" off the bottom of the bucket.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #4

Biggles and Beenthere,

Thanks for the reply.

Beenthere, My house was built by DR Horton, America's Blunder. ( Dr horton means crap in latin, i suspect):furious

No room for a down pipe for a bucket. Space is like stuffed sausage. The exhaust ducting blocks the possibility of the downpipe and bucket idea.

Biggles, The Furnace and H/W heater are nat gas. I have remeasured the vent pipe it looks between 6 and 8 ". I have partially blocked the vent pipe with insulation.

Ugh.... Maybe i'm pissing in the wind on this one.....
eddyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #5

air should only come in when required... you need to insure you have enough air for combustion... hot water tank does not require as much as the furnace... not enough air for combustion is a real problem... be carefull
carmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hvac, venting