Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #1

Share |

Air Handlers not staying on.

We have two air handlers and two condenser units that run on one thermostat and when I put the system in cool the air handlers are fluctuating on and off but the condenser units are staying on, and when I switch it back off the air handlers don't stop fluctuating until I turn off the air handler's breaker off. What could be the problem?

tyhorstman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyhorstman View Post
We have two air handlers and two condenser units that run on one thermostat and when I put the system in cool the air handlers are fluctuating on and off but the condenser units are staying on, and when I switch it back off the air handlers don't stop fluctuating until I turn off the air handler's breaker off. What could be the problem?
I am afraid from that description it could be anything..... more details please....

carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #3

Given that the air handlers always do the same thing, it seems likely they aren't wired correctly (given that there are 2, they probably didn't both break identically). I'd look back over wires between air handlers and condensers, make sure you didn't cross between the two, voltages are correct, etc.

I'm assuming this is a new system, never properly operating. Am I correct? Good luck.
casey2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey2u
Given that the air handlers always do the same thing, it seems likely they aren't wired correctly (given that there are 2, they probably didn't both break identically). I'd look back over wires between air handlers and condensers, make sure you didn't cross between the two, voltages are correct, etc.

I'm assuming this is a new system, never properly operating. Am I correct? Good luck.
No actually it's ran in this configuration for years, but now as soon as the blowers spool up they kick of and begin to spool up again. It doesn't do it all the time though. We called an hvac tech out and of course it ran fine while he was there but, he checked over all the wiring but didn't find anything, he replaced the thermostat batteries and said if it does it again it might need a new thermostat.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #5

spool up ........fishing time.... sorry i do not get it......
carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #6

Hmm. I wouldn't think it's the thermostat, but it could be: if they were stuck on fan for example. You're saying the air handlers do their cycling thing all the time, forever, until you've switched them off? The fact that the thermostat properly controls the condensors (or at least turns them off) implies that it's not the root cause, to me. Has there been any other electrical work done in the house recently?
Old 05-02-2012, 04:12 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Guessing this is a twinned system. Was a twinning control use?
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmon
spool up ........fishing time.... sorry i do not get it......
Sorry, I mean come up to speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere
Guessing this is a twinned system. Was a twinning control use?
Yes
Old 05-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey2u
Hmm. I wouldn't think it's the thermostat, but it could be: if they were stuck on fan for example. You're saying the air handlers do their cycling thing all the time, forever, until you've switched them off? The fact that the thermostat properly controls the condensors (or at least turns them off) implies that it's not the root cause, to me. Has there been any other electrical work done in the house recently?
Sometimes the blowers start just fine but most of the time they continually cycle on and off, and no we haven't had any major electrical work. Could it be the 24 volt transformer? The reason I ask is because while it's cycle on and off if you turn the system back off the blowers don't stop, you have to disconnect power.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyhorstman View Post
Could it be the 24 volt transformer?
I can't see how, and again, the fact that the condensors work properly on/off implies that the thermostat/transformer is ok... to me.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey2u View Post
I can't see how, and again, the fact that the condensors work properly on/off implies that the thermostat/transformer is ok... to me.
Does the Blower fan have a start capacitor?
Old 05-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Post brand and model number of the twinning control. it could be the twinning control, or one of the sensors that is used to determine if both fans are running.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #13

Thanks for all the help. The evaporator drain is clogged so the evaporator is leaking and I think it has gotten the twinning control wet. The system is shutdown. We've called out a hvac tech and we're going to have him look into it.