Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #1

Share |

Air Handlers - New Home

I have a new Standard Pacific home and I have 3 air handlers in the attic (one for each level + the bonus room).

I went up to check on them (115F outside) and you won't believe what I found.

Air Handler #1 - It has 1 drain pipe going outside and to the left of that drain pipe is a capped line. Drain is dripping water outside and all seems OK. But there is NO open line to the catch pan, it has been capped off. Which doesn't seem right with me. Because if the line going outside backs up. Where is the water going to go?

Air Handler #2 - It has 1 drain pipe going outside and to the left of that drain pipe it is an OPEN line that faces down onto the catch pan, and the pan is dry. But here is the kicker. When the AC turns on - COLD AIR comes out of that open line. Cold air also comes out of a PVC tube that is facing up and appears to be a vent of some sort.

Air Handler #3 - Has the same setup & problems as AH#2 but it also drips water out of that open line/vent ONTO THE CATCH PAN. I have water on the catch pan.

WHAT THE HECK? Did they plumb it all wrong? Need help!

JackOfAllTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:32 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Air Handlers - New Home

Unit 3 may not have enough pitch on the drain line. or its already restricted somewhere.

Common to cap the secondary drain on A/Cs installed on furnaces. If you don't. You get cold air blowing out.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:14 AM   #3

Air Handlers - New Home

that's an interesting observation i noticed too. i have two furnaces and both my old air handlers were both capped on the secondary drain. on the new ones, they aren't and yes some cold air blows out of them. if the secondary drain is capped, but a secondary drain pan is installed, what is the point? how will water ever get into the secondary pan if the primary drain backs up?
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Air Handlers - New Home

The primary should have a trap, and a vent on the discharge side of the trap.
Then if the drain backs up. The water flows out of the vent, and into the secondary pan.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:23 PM   #5

Air Handlers - New Home

Or they make a nifty little float switch that screws right into the secondary. I believe it's the same company that makes the EZ trap.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote