Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2011, 08:54 AM   #1

Share |

Air handler, run and start capacitors???

Hello, new to the forum. I have a Rheem split unit AC. Sometimes while the inside air handler fan is running, the fan seems to "bog" down and wants to stop running and if left alone, it will stop completely. It makes funny bumping/shuttering sounds and you can hear the rpm of the fan change. It's as if the fan is really straining to keep running. Been doing this a while and it does not happen very often. I have changed a capacitor that is mounted on the side of the squirrel cage fan housing, don't know if this is a start or run capacitor. I can only find one capacitor around the fan or inside control box on the air handler. My question is, does the inside fan have a start and a run capacitor associated with the air handler unit. The system is 20+ years old. The wiring diagram is to old and tattered to read.
heatrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #2

my experience tells me this is a run capacitor
Milwaukeetool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:17 AM   #3

the indoor blower motor would only have a run cap, no start cap.
thepresence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
Hvac Pro

How stiff is the motor. If it is original it may be seizing up. Should be able to easily turn the wheel with your index finger. Windings can die from old age and open up so it may be the motor dying from old age.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I have replaced the capacitor that is mounted on the side of the fan housing and the fan motor does turn freely, not hard to turn at all. Any more ideas out there. This is the same capacitor where the fan motor wiring can be changed to obtain different fan motor speeds, low, medium or high.
heatrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #6

bearings might be tightening up after heating up but you said it free spins even after a slow down....your hi speed in cooling and lo/lo med in heat do you have the same problem squirrel cage fins clean...how about backward free spin.....if the motor breaks after a free spin the bearings are tight

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:19 AM   #7

bearings might be tightening up after heating up but you said it free spins even after a slow down....your hi speed in cooling and lo/lo med in heat do you have the same problem squirrel cage fins clean...how about backward free spin.....if the motor breaks after a free spin the bearings are tight...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote