Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #31
I'm Your Huckleberry
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,758
Rewards Points: 6
Share |
Default

Air handler not pushing enough air


Have you checked to see if there are speed taps on the control board and if the motor is connected to the proper one for each call? There are usually four; hi, med-hi, med-lo, lo. It also could be labeled cool and heat.

In cooling mode the fan should be set at highest speed and for heating on med-lo to low unless again, there are air flow issues and the unit trips out of high temperature limit which one way to "fix" that would be to increase the speed during heating.

Has the outdor unit ever been changed and if so is it the correct size for the air handler or is it too small thereby someone lowered the blower motor setting to match the smaller outside condenser?

All possibilities.

__________________
Thanks.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #32
Member
 
ryanxo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 77
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Air handler not pushing enough air


Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Have you checked to see if there are speed taps on the control board and if the motor is connected to the proper one for each call? There are usually four; hi, med-hi, med-lo, lo. It also could be labeled cool and heat.

In cooling mode the fan should be set at highest speed and for heating on med-lo to low unless again, there are air flow issues and the unit trips out of high temperature limit which one way to "fix" that would be to increase the speed during heating.

Has the outdor unit ever been changed and if so is it the correct size for the air handler or is it too small thereby someone lowered the blower motor setting to match the smaller outside condenser?

All possibilities.
According to the techs I had out there the outdoor unit and indoor unit matched. I do not know if anything has been swapped out as I've only had the house a year and it was a bank owned property.

I tried to check the control board before but couldn't figure it out. It wasn't labeled at all so I didn't want to mess anything up. I'll see if I can find some instructions on that though.
ryanxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #33
I'm Your Huckleberry
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,758
Rewards Points: 6
Default

Air handler not pushing enough air


Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanxo View Post
How hard is hard? When I had it open it didnt blow any harder than a 20 inch box fan from walmart.

The plenum can only be 3 feet in length? Wow. Mines alot longer than that. See pic here:


That is simply idiotic. That's a commercial step down trunk line design used on big commercial systems.

What you need is a regular residential 3' PLENUM, not a 30' duct board commercial trunk line. And some dampers so you can balance that air meaning turn the air flow down through a few if you want more elsewhere.
__________________
Thanks.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Holliday For This Useful Post:
ryanxo (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #34
I'm Your Huckleberry
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,758
Rewards Points: 6
Default

Air handler not pushing enough air


I've built and hung those trunk lines 100's of time over but ONLY on commerical work, never residential.
__________________
Thanks.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #35
Member
 
ryanxo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 77
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Air handler not pushing enough air


Haha It's pretty much chaos up there but in my parents house which was built in the 90s their system is run the exact same way. Maybe whoever is doing the duct training in VA has been smoking something. I didn't do any of this duct work I'm just trying to fix the hell that has been unleashed already.

Let me make sure I understand correctly what i need to have.

3 foot plenum and then flex duct from that plenum to all of my vents?
ryanxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #36
I'm Your Huckleberry
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,758
Rewards Points: 6
Default

Air handler not pushing enough air


Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanxo View Post
Haha It's pretty much chaos up there but in my parents house which was built in the 90s their system is run the exact same way. Maybe whoever is doing the duct training in VA has been smoking something. I didn't do any of this duct work I'm just trying to fix the hell that has been unleashed already.

Let me make sure I understand correctly what i need to have.

3 foot plenum and then flex duct from that plenum to all of my vents?

I guess I should slow my roll a bit. Not sure about other areas of the US, just that down here in Texas you won't find anything remotely close to that, not in residential.

What size system is it? And yes, a regular 3' plenum with main lines running out of it. For the amount of air I'm suspecting you need and to save space on the plenum, probably Y connections meaning you could come out with one 10" which would split down the line into two 8's.

Of course the size do the lines is all specualtion until we know the size requirements of the structure (heat load analysis), what is there right now, the duct sizes (if they are too big/small) and the size in cubic feet of each room so we know what size duct will be required to feed said room.

Just looking at that big old trunk lines is making me cringe, I feel all hot and sticky.
__________________
Thanks.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #37
I'm Your Huckleberry
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,758
Rewards Points: 6
Default

Air handler not pushing enough air


I don't beleive that there is enough power in that residential blower to accomodate such a big trunk line. You're losing velocity and a lot of it.
__________________
Thanks.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #38
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 59
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Air handler not pushing enough air


Im guess that wasnt directed at me, but the guy who hijacked my thread J/K... hopefully we both get our issues resolved...

If it was at me then...
nothing on the inside unit has been altered in the last 3 years.
The issue with the lower air pressure coming out the vents just started a month or so ago...
thanx
Danny
dcastillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #39
I'm Your Huckleberry
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,758
Rewards Points: 6
Default

Air handler not pushing enough air


It's like if a girl is an inch away from you and blowing in your ear. Now let her walk to the other side of the room and try blowing in your ear from there.

You won't feel it.

I guess that's a good comparison.
__________________
Thanks.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #40
I'm Your Huckleberry
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,758
Rewards Points: 6
Default

Air handler not pushing enough air


Quote:
Originally Posted by dcastillo View Post
Im guess that wasnt directed at me, but the guy who hijacked my thread J/K... hopefully we both get our issues resolved...

If it was at me then...
nothing on the inside unit has been altered in the last 3 years.
The issue with the lower air pressure coming out the vents just started a month or so ago...
thanx
Danny

It's an electrical problem. Board, capacitor, voltage or motor.
__________________
Thanks.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Holliday For This Useful Post:
dcastillo (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #41
I'm Your Huckleberry
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,758
Rewards Points: 6
Default

Air handler not pushing enough air




Both pics are of regular residential supply plenum box.

__________________
Thanks.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #42
Member
 
ryanxo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 77
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Air handler not pushing enough air


Well I figure Texas is hot as crap in the summer and can get pretty cold in the winter too so you all prolly know what you are talking about and if it works better than the crap I have going on now then I'm all for changing it up.

I have been told it's a 2 ton system.
I have done research on this style of duct system and they call it a Reducecd extended plenum duct system.
Apparently the plenum goes a certain distance then steps down a size as vents are run off of it.

I would love to be able to do a shorter plenum. It would make maneuvering around the attic alot easier.

You have a how to or some diagrams somewhere so I can maybe design a better configuration.

I'll work on all the details of that analysis today.
ryanxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #43
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 59
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Air handler not pushing enough air


Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
It's like if a girl is an inch away from you and blowing in your ear. Now let her walk to the other side of the room and try blowing in your ear from there.

You won't feel it.

I guess that's a good comparison.
Thats deep.....


And all I learned in school about electricity is comparing it to water.... wish I went to your school...
dcastillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #44
Member
 
ryanxo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 77
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Air handler not pushing enough air


Quote:
Originally Posted by dcastillo
Im guess that wasnt directed at me, but the guy who hijacked my thread J/K... hopefully we both get our issues resolved...

If it was at me then...
nothing on the inside unit has been altered in the last 3 years.
The issue with the lower air pressure coming out the vents just started a month or so ago...
thanx
Danny


.

Sorry I wasn't trying to hijack. I thought we might have the same issue but it appears we do not. I'll shut up haha.

Last edited by ryanxo; 04-16-2012 at 01:28 PM.
ryanxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #45
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 59
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Air handler not pushing enough air


Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanxo View Post
Well I figure Texas is hot as crap in the summer and can get pretty cold in the winter too so you all prolly know what you are talking about and if it works better than the crap I have going on now then I'm all for changing it up.

I have been told it's a 2 ton system.
I have done research on this style of duct system and they call it a Reducecd extended plenum duct system.
Apparently the plenum goes a certain distance then steps down a size as vents are run off of it.

I would love to be able to do a shorter plenum. It would make maneuvering around the attic alot easier.

You have a how to or some diagrams somewhere so I can maybe design a better configuration.

I'll work on all the details of that analysis today.
Im definitely not an AC expert....but wouldnt a 1344sqr ft house need more then a 2 ton system?

dcastillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air handler blower will not come on? davvid20120 HVAC 8 04-01-2012 12:55 PM
Air Handler Won't Stop Running, Help Please!!! Ralph III HVAC 28 03-31-2012 10:48 AM
Air handler leaking kcamnairb HVAC 4 08-17-2011 04:32 PM
Proper way to clean the air handler drain lines lithium1330 HVAC 2 11-25-2008 09:48 AM
Replacing air handler - How to fit when form factors are slightly different?? hennyh HVAC 2 11-16-2006 08:23 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.