Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2010, 10:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

air handler leaking heat?

I have a unit in an unfinished part of my basement. The area is concrete wall, and where studded, it's insulated to the outside. There are no vents or returns in this area - it's closed off from the rest of the house.

I've noticed it's never dropped below 66 degrees in there, even when it's 32 outside. What a bonus, right?

But then I noticed that hot air is blowing out of the unit into the basement.

There is a PVC drain pipe for AC water, and there's an open fitting. I'm supposed to occasionally put a little bleach in there to clean from the AC water residue. Right now - heat is blasting out that hole.

Heat is also coming out into the area from a few other random places. There are some natural gaps where pipes and such enter the body of the unit. Heat comes out there too.

My big concern is that the twin to this unit is in my attic. If it's "heating" my basement with this leaked air - at least it's to my benefit. But the attic heat would be lost.

Is this natural? Do they spit out a little heat form the unit normally? Or is my system failing?

denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,002

air handler leaking heat?

you can install and drain trap in the condensate line and once filled, it will keep the air from blowing out. The trap should be cleared every year though.

hvactech126 is offline   Reply With Quote