Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2008, 11:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Air handler/Heat strip ?

we just purchased a home that has radiant ceiling heat. I've been monitoring our kW/hr usage and it's averaging 80-100 kw/hrs per day. This is going to be costly over the course of a month. I had a friend of my parents who is in the HVAC field(he's retired from the field but does some HVAC tinkering on the side) to take a look at our air handler. My assumption was that it was previously setup for a heat pump and the outside compressor dies and was replaced with a plain old A/C compressor. He pretty much thought the same. Now on to my questions, he proposed installing heat strips in the current air handler which would effectively give us an electric furnace correct? Would this be any more efficient? I'm an electrical engineering technician and my gut says probably not. I don't know what he is planning to charge for the installation of the 15kw heat strip(looked to me like 3 5kw strips actually, the only major expense would be running the 6-2 wire from the main panel to the air handler. Any thoughts on his proposed "fix" and any thoughts on the radiant ceiling heat. The bedrooms stay warm, the open with vaulted ceiling kitchen, dining, and living room areas stay cool. Any ideas out there? Any other idea out there?

jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:29 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,714

Air handler/Heat strip ?

Same amount of KWs weather radiant ceiling, or an electric furnace.

Either have a heat pump installed, or some other form of heat.

Not to bust on your parents "friend".
But, use someone else, not him.

If what ever he installed, had a problem at 1 AM. He ain't gonna be getting out of bed to fix it for you.

Also, if it were to become a problem unit, you would be putting a strain on your parents relationship with him.

Do everyone a favor, and use a HVAC company.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Air handler/Heat strip ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post

If what ever he installed, had a problem at 1 AM. He ain't gonna be getting out of bed to fix it for you.
actually he would, and has when a friend we referred to him had an issue with their a/c. You can't text book judge people, some people are willing to go above and beyond even when they aren't "required" to, we need more folks like that.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,714

Air handler/Heat strip ?

Then talk to him a bout a matched heat pump system.
Which should cut your heating bill almost in half, or better.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote