DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Air Handler flow problems

3K views 12 replies 2 participants last post by  dewalt 
#1 ·
Hoping someone out there can help w/ this issue.

I'm running a heat pump for my top floors of my townhouse, and been having issues with it for a while now. I had a valve and the compressor replaced last year to fix a leak. It was working fine for a while, until I turned the A/C recently.

The airflow on the handler does not seem that high. I get more flow from vents closer to the handler, but less in the farthest vent. I closed off as many vents as possible, and it does help, but not as much. The incoming refrigerant pipe also freezes. I looked inside the handler, and the pipes are frozen there too.

Air coming out of the vents is cold, and I believe it may reach the 20deg difference.

My filters in both my supply vents are clean.

Anything else I can check? I dont have the model number of the handler on me, but can provide it tonight.

#2 ·
Hope you mean air filters in return vents.

Sounds like it may be still low on charge.

Call that contractor back. The leak may still be there. Or it may have sprung another leak.

Or the coil may be dirty.

#7 ·
Not many have. I think only this one company makes it, and it came with the townhouse when it was built. Window heat pump, with the lines running to an attic where the handler is (20ft run inside the walls). I would've replaced the sucker, but no one makes a suitable replacement. I cant find a link to their site, as I forgot the manuf.

With Simple Green, where should I start cleaning? Everywhere there's refrigerant coil?

#11 ·
About 4 years ago, our handler was replaced. When I opened it yesterday, and looked in the direction of the incoming air, I noticed there was a filter. I didn't think there would be a filter there, seeing that the two ducts that supply air are sealed to the handler via a box.

The filter is basically inaccessible without breaking the tape seal. But I had to do it. I removed the filter, and what do you know, it was finished beyond its life.

I sealed everything back, without a new filter. I figured, that since both my return vents have filters, I don't need a second filter before my handler.

And yes - this did fix the problem. Air flows as its supposed to now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.