Air Handler Fan Speed Switch - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
Veteran Newbie

Rewards Points: 10

Air Handler fan speed switch

Our six year old house has four zones with basic 5/2 programable thermostats. Central propane boiler feeds coils in each air handler for heat, and each zone has it's own cooling compressor. Three speed fans in each air handler. I finally got tired of hearing the fans kick on in the main part of the house, did some research, and came to the conclusion that one should use a high speed fan for cooling, and low or medium for my particular air-water heat exchange heating (right?). So my first cut at this was to switch the main zone of the house to low speed fan for the winter (changed the blade connection inside the air handler). This greatly reduced my aggravation with hearing the fans kick on, and seem to be more efficient as our propane usage is down slightly for a similarly cold winter (anecdotal I guess, but that's my story). So I would like to install a toggle switch on the air handler to simplify the change of fan speed from high to low each spring and fall. Despite many search terms on Google, I have yet to find a solution that screams "that's it!". What exactly am I looking for (better yet, got a link?)

thanks!

Advertisement

catmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,690

A 3 way switch like you would use on a light with 2 switches..

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
catmandu (03-01-2011)
Old 03-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
Veteran Newbie

Rewards Points: 10

And that's the answer that started talking to me, but I just didn't think it through and did the lazy man's thinking by going to the interwebs. My electrician uncle would be so ashamed!

Thanks, I may just go do that right now, since I have a spare switch in the garage.
catmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Why not just use a blower relay in each unit that is controlled by the call for heat? You put the high speed on a normally closed set of contacts and the low speed on the normally open set. When you get the call for heat from the thermostat from that stat you can energize the relay via the thermostat and it will run in low. Assuming your control board only has one blower terminal you wouls use that terminal to feed the common terminal on the relay.
college A/C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by college A/C View Post
Why not just use a blower relay in each unit that is controlled by the call for heat? You put the high speed on a normally closed set of contacts and the low speed on the normally open set. When you get the call for heat from the thermostat from that stat you can energize the relay via the thermostat and it will run in low. Assuming your control board only has one blower terminal you wouls use that terminal to feed the common terminal on the relay.

And what terminals of the thermostat controls the relay.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:04 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

If you have a fuel type furnace then your thermostat calls for a basic sequence of operation. Usually the "w" terminal gets power in the heating mode to start this sequence. This might be a good wire to start a relay that will only work in the heat mode of the sytem?
college A/C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

He has a hydronic air handler fed by an LP boiler.

Advertisement