Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

Air handler and condenser wiring please help


I have a house with a older york e1fb condenser . The air handler must have died at some point because there is a non york branded unit installed . I was wiring the condenser to the air handler but i do not understand what some of the connections are . I have included a wire diagram of the thermostat , air handler , and condenser .The first image is the air handler , followed by the condenser and the current wire connections. Any help would be very much appreciated .
Attached Thumbnails
Air handler and condenser wiring please help-wiring.jpg  

Wind82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 141
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Air handler and condenser wiring please help


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind82 View Post
I have a house with a older york e1fb condenser . The air handler must have died at some point because there is a non york branded unit installed . I was wiring the condenser to the air handler but i do not understand what some of the connections are . I have included a wire diagram of the thermostat , air handler , and condenser .The first image is the air handler , followed by the condenser and the current wire connections. Any help would be very much appreciated .
r=24v
o=reversing valve
c=common
y=cooling
g=fan
w1=heat
w2=heat strips

Marbledust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,758
Rewards Points: 6
Default

Air handler and condenser wiring please help


For future reference that's a heat pump, not a condenser. The same in cooling mode as a condenser, not the same in heating.

A condenser rejects heat outdoors during cooling mode and that's the only time it comes on. A heat pump rejects heat outdoors during cooling mode and rejects heat indoors during heating mode.
__________________
Thanks.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Air handler and condenser wiring please help


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbledust View Post
r=24v
o=reversing valve
c=common
y=cooling
g=fan
w1=heat
w2=heat strips
This is how i have the unit wired now(b for common on york units). If i turn the unit on the 5 amp fuse blows as soon as the cooling signal is sent to the heat pump .
Wind82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 141
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Air handler and condenser wiring please help


trace your wires back to the transformer/find 24v and common....B maybe common
Marbledust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Air handler and condenser wiring please help


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbledust View Post
trace your wires back to the transformer/find 24v and common....B maybe common
I am rewiring the whole thing . A short was found in the thermostat wire so it's been replaced . I think there is a second fault in the wire leading to the heat pump because now my new transformer has died . All this without the heat pump ever turning on . If you look at the picture i posted with the thread it shows c as common on the air handler . After some looking around i see that for york units B is common so i c is connected to b. My current thinking is issues are all related to shorts in wires. If you have any other idea's let me know and if issues still persist i will try them.


Thanks for all the help so far.
Wind82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wind82 For This Useful Post:
Marbledust (08-13-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 141
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Air handler and condenser wiring please help


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind82 View Post
I am rewiring the whole thing . A short was found in the thermostat wire so it's been replaced . I think there is a second fault in the wire leading to the heat pump because now my new transformer has died . All this without the heat pump ever turning on . If you look at the picture i posted with the thread it shows c as common on the air handler . After some looking around i see that for york units B is common so i c is connected to b. My current thinking is issues are all related to shorts in wires. If you have any other idea's let me know and if issues still persist i will try them.


Thanks for all the help so far.
Thanks for the report there!
Good idea to trace that old stat wire....heat pumps often lead to major headaches...and now the finding of a bad stat wire is of great relief!
Marbledust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Air handler and condenser wiring please help


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbledust View Post
Thanks for the report there!
Good idea to trace that old stat wire....heat pumps often lead to major headaches...and now the finding of a bad stat wire is of great relief!
Air handler is dead !!! It turns out the wires going to both the heat pump and the thermostat were bad . I pulled the control board and found burns along the back around the the ic's . In short the unit was already broken . I will just replace it with a york unit . Thanks for trying to help .

Wind82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air Handler Won't Stop Running, Help Please!!! Ralph III HVAC 28 03-31-2012 10:48 AM
AC wiring question? Ralph III Electrical 4 03-04-2012 10:52 AM
AC wiring questions? Ralph III HVAC 0 03-04-2012 10:12 AM
Rheem rbhc-21j11sfc single stage heat wiring kilosos2 HVAC 0 12-20-2010 06:59 AM
Need help diagnosing Amana Air Handler No Fan danneskjold HVAC 8 03-30-2010 10:10 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.