Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Air handler and condenser wiring please help

I have a house with a older york e1fb condenser . The air handler must have died at some point because there is a non york branded unit installed . I was wiring the condenser to the air handler but i do not understand what some of the connections are . I have included a wire diagram of the thermostat , air handler , and condenser .The first image is the air handler , followed by the condenser and the current wire connections. Any help would be very much appreciated .
Attached Thumbnails
Air handler and condenser wiring please help-wiring.jpg  

Wind82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind82 View Post
I have a house with a older york e1fb condenser . The air handler must have died at some point because there is a non york branded unit installed . I was wiring the condenser to the air handler but i do not understand what some of the connections are . I have included a wire diagram of the thermostat , air handler , and condenser .The first image is the air handler , followed by the condenser and the current wire connections. Any help would be very much appreciated .
r=24v
o=reversing valve
c=common
y=cooling
g=fan
w1=heat
w2=heat strips

Marbledust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 6

For future reference that's a heat pump, not a condenser. The same in cooling mode as a condenser, not the same in heating.

A condenser rejects heat outdoors during cooling mode and that's the only time it comes on. A heat pump rejects heat outdoors during cooling mode and rejects heat indoors during heating mode.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbledust View Post
r=24v
o=reversing valve
c=common
y=cooling
g=fan
w1=heat
w2=heat strips
This is how i have the unit wired now(b for common on york units). If i turn the unit on the 5 amp fuse blows as soon as the cooling signal is sent to the heat pump .
Old 08-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #5

trace your wires back to the transformer/find 24v and common....B maybe common
Old 08-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #6

Quote:
trace your wires back to the transformer/find 24v and common....B maybe common
I am rewiring the whole thing . A short was found in the thermostat wire so it's been replaced . I think there is a second fault in the wire leading to the heat pump because now my new transformer has died . All this without the heat pump ever turning on . If you look at the picture i posted with the thread it shows c as common on the air handler . After some looking around i see that for york units B is common so i c is connected to b. My current thinking is issues are all related to shorts in wires. If you have any other idea's let me know and if issues still persist i will try them.

Thanks for all the help so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wind82 For This Useful Post:
Marbledust (08-13-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind82 View Post
I am rewiring the whole thing . A short was found in the thermostat wire so it's been replaced . I think there is a second fault in the wire leading to the heat pump because now my new transformer has died . All this without the heat pump ever turning on . If you look at the picture i posted with the thread it shows c as common on the air handler . After some looking around i see that for york units B is common so i c is connected to b. My current thinking is issues are all related to shorts in wires. If you have any other idea's let me know and if issues still persist i will try them.

Thanks for all the help so far.
Thanks for the report there!
Good idea to trace that old stat wire....heat pumps often lead to major headaches...and now the finding of a bad stat wire is of great relief!
Old 08-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the report there!
Good idea to trace that old stat wire....heat pumps often lead to major headaches...and now the finding of a bad stat wire is of great relief!
Air handler is dead !!! It turns out the wires going to both the heat pump and the thermostat were bad . I pulled the control board and found burns along the back around the the ic's . In short the unit was already broken . I will just replace it with a york unit . Thanks for trying to help .