Air Filter Replacement - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2014, 08:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 83

Air filter replacement

I live in Florida, I have a Trane handler in the garage mounted on the ceiling. The air filter opening is located after the blower and evaporator and the air flow is going away from the evap and back to the house. I thought the purpose of a filter was to keep the evap clean, but if the filter is after evap it is to late at that point. I have a main return in a hallway and each bedroom has a return but no filters in any of the returns just in the handler. I opened the panel to look at the evap and it was pretty clean for an 8 year old evap but I still cleaned it anyway since I was in there. So I am just trying to better understand is this okay? and also with my setup what MERV rating filter should I use, right now I just buy the cheap filtrete brand fiberglass filter for like 2 bucks and replace every 3 months. And also is it worth the money to have an HVAC company clean out my vents? thank you in advance for any info you can pass along.

Advertisement

streetneons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:28 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

Air filter replacement

Too keep things simple. Where in the home is the return vent that the filter goes in at?

Really if people are having problems with Allergies. You could go with the Ace Hardware Merv 7 Hypo-Allergen filters. They are the same as the 3M. But you are not paying for the name.

You can also order filters through http://www.bestfilters.com/index.html I have ordered from them and actually was surprised at the price that I paid. Compared to what it would have been through Amazon or locally.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:55 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,690

Air filter replacement

Post a pic of your air handler and air filter set up.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:36 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Air filter replacement

that main return in the hallway is the better location for the filter,and the room returns are they flex ducted back to the main return duct going to the air handler? how was the "discharge filter" as it would be called located as you say...was it just dusted up over those 8 years?
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:46 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 83

Air filter replacement

The return vents appear to be flex duct from what I can tell in the attic. I change the filter every 3 months typically and it never looks dirty, but neither did the evaporator. I figured if it was not being filtered properly the coils would be dirty. So should I put a cheap filter In the main return as well? I just don't want to cause any air flow issues like I might with going with a higher merv rated filter.
streetneons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:36 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Air filter replacement

your return is your life line change your filter freqently.

Advertisement

lrobertiello is offline   Reply With Quote