Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #1

Share |

Air exchange not working?

Hello, Im new here. I bought my first house with an air exchange. The house was built in 2002 and it is a Bryant air exchange. The only time I can get it to turn on is if I open the door then close it. there is push button switches in all the bathrooms, one in the kitchen and one in the laudry room. If I press one the light comes on but not the unit. The main control has a dial to set humidity and a 3 way switch with off/int./low and 2 LED's on/ air exchange. The on LED never comes on either.

Tcwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

if you are talking about the door switch on the exchanger then maybe it is faulty/making a poor connection.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #3

Yes, the door switch. If I open the door, then close it. The unit comes on, runs its course then shuts off. Then if I press one of the switches in the bathroom, it will not run again.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
Hvac Pro

1) Hold the door open and press the switch in. When power is applied the unit does a self test and cycles thru all the fan speeds etc, happens after power failures too. NO danger to run it with the door open unless you have hippie hair and it gets sucked in to the fan.

2) DO NOT release the button. Get another person to go press one of the timer/push buttons buttons upstairs. If it works then you know the switch is weak and kaput. If nothing works then there are problems elsewhere.

Last edited by yuri; 05-28-2013 at 11:31 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #5

Thanks, I will try that. It sounds like that is whats happening, the self test. Im not completely sure how the whole system works. Im assuming that the swithces in the bathrooms should turn the system on when pressed and that the thermostat will control it the rest of the time.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
Hvac Pro

Yep. It is a de-humidistat not thermostat. If it still does not work then you need to call a Bryant or Carrier dealer and make sure they have someone familiar with those units. Lots don't. Carrier owns Bryant, same machine.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #7

So, I opened the door and taped the switch down. At first it did nothing. I went into the bathroom and hit the switch in there and it came on, ran its cycle and shut off. I left it sit awhile. I hit the switch again and nothing happened. Also, it says heat recovery ventilator on it. Not sure if there is a difference between a HRV and an air exchange. By doing that test I know the HRV unit is good, right? Now I need to figure out if its the dehumidistat or the wall switches. Im thinking its the dehumidistat.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
Hvac Pro

hrv/heat recovery ventilator or sometimes called air to air heat exchanger same thing different words. there are ERVs energy recovery ventilators which are the same but use a different core. Door switches are cheap and can get weak. I would bypass the wiring on it and try again. Pushing it in is no guarantee it is making good connection internally.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:37 AM   #9

I made a jumper wire to bypass the door switch and nothing changed. I press the bathroom switch and it runs through a "self test mode" then shuts off. When I press the switch again nothing happens. The "ON" light on the dehumidistat never comes on either.