Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #1

Share |

Air conditionimg

My central air went out. Called repair man, the guy said I was a little low on feon and added a little. I went back to work and when I came home it was doing the same thing. Air conditioning is constantly running but blowing out semi warm air. Thermostat is set on 76, but is saying it is 86 in the house. Any thoughts? Thanks, Michelle

Mlwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Air conditionimg

obviously you have a leak BUT the most important aspect of checking and charging an hvac system is air flow, condenser and evaporator coils. With a dirty condenser coil (outside unit) it can "lie" to you, showing higher pressures because the coil is restricted.

You can not ever and I do mean ever, charge a system without coils being cleaned first. I clean about 2-3 condenser coils a day. cleaning alone can and does drop the supply air temperature many a degree(s) dependent upon how clogged it was prior to cleaning.

Once clean the condenser and thus refrigerant is not under exterior strenuous pressure, the true charge will show itself and from there the system can be charged accurately.

Outside of that, you have a bad leak. Need a tech with a refrigerant leak detector to find the leak and then you need to be prepared to pay for the fix. Only a very slim chance on a residential air conditioning system that a leak is repairable. Mostly it's a part change out, such as an evaporator coil where an approximate 98% of all refrigerant leaks in residential systems occur.
Of course there is always Super Seal to try first, an additive that can seal a small leak in a refrigeration system.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #3

Air conditionimg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
obviously you have a leak BUT the most important aspect of checking and charging an hvac system is air flow, condenser and evaporator coils. With a dirty condenser coil (outside unit) it can "lie" to you, showing higher pressures because the coil is restricted.

You can not ever and I do mean ever, charge a system without coils being cleaned first. I clean about 2-3 condenser coils a day. cleaning alone can and does drop the supply air temperature many a degree(s) dependent upon how clogged it was prior to cleaning.

Once clean the condenser and thus refrigerant is not under exterior strenuous pressure, the true charge will show itself and from there the system can be charged accurately.

Outside of that, you have a bad leak. Need a tech with a refrigerant leak detector to find the leak and then you need to be prepared to pay for the fix. Only a very slim chance on a residential air conditioning system that a leak is repairable. Mostly it's a part change out, such as an evaporator coil where an approximate 98% of all refrigerant leaks in residential systems occur.
Of course there is always Super Seal to try first, an additive that can seal a small leak in a refrigeration system.
maybe there was a leak....maybe not ..... it may be way over charged now....who knows.....
carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #4

Air conditionimg

Great, he did clean the unit before he did anything else so I guess that means it is probably a leak. So do I call a different repair guy or the same one?

Again thanks
Michelle
Old 06-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
Hvac Pro

Air conditionimg

If you call a different guy you have to pay him. I would try the first guy again.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #6

Air conditionimg

we cant not answer that ... need more details.... i would expect him to return for free.....
carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #7
I'm Your Huckleberry

Air conditionimg

did he clean the coil like this?...

if not he did not clean the coil. it's an approximate $200.00 job.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
I'm Your Huckleberry

Air conditionimg

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmon View Post
maybe there was a leak....maybe not ..... it may be way over charged now....who knows.....
what we don't know is after this supposed cleaning and then charging of the system did it cool for awhile or was the home owner not there to be able to tell the difference?

many an overcharged system will still cool, just not with precision, a higher supply air temp, but cool none the less.

i know because I deal with this a dozen times a day.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #9

Air conditionimg

Tech came out, did not charge for second service call. Turned out bad capacitor and motor.