Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #1

Share |

Air conditioner randomly shuts off, works when reset, but will shut off again

I have a honeywell VisionPRO TH8000 Series and a Ruud Achiever Series a/c and heat pump system. I just had work done to it a little over a year ago (after a few months of owning the house) because we had a ridiculous electric bill of about $1,000 and we knew the system had been running weird before. After that bill we knew something was seriously wrong. I was told by the HVAC guy that fixed it that the people who installed it before I bought the house didn't install it correctly. The systems was raised for better airflow (there might have been more that I don't recall). The system worked fine for this whole time (both heat and air) up until last week. The thermostat just shut off and the system stopped. I was not home but I was told that it flickered a few times and tried coming back on then shut off. Later that evening it came back on by itself and stayed on. The next day The same kind of thing happened and I went to investigate. The only thing that stood out to me was the group of wires that go into the house from the outside system had electrical tape on them. I took the electrical tape off to find that the group of wires looked like they overheated and were stripped as a result. there were quite a few exposed wires. I individually wrapped each wire and then turn the breaker switch back on. I thought this might be it because the system came back on and was running fine again. The next day it happened again (thermostat screen went black/system shut off). This has been happening for a few days now and we've had an electrician here yesterday and a HVAC guy here today and no one can seem to figure it out. The HVAC guy replaced the taped wire and he said that the system had been wired wrong so he re-wired it. He also replaced the thermostat with the same model. It just shut off again tonight and I wanted to see if there was anything I could do myself instead of getting people out again who may or may not fix it again. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Sawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #2

Air conditioner randomly shuts off, works when reset, but will shut off again

do you have the air handler in the basement or attic if either is there a condensate pump that takes the water away rom the air handler?if you have one the thin pair of wires might be connected to knock the stat off if the water gets to high within the pump tank....just putting this out....

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote