Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2006, 10:49 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Air Conditioner HELP

Last year during summer my air conditioner didn't seem to be cooling off my house. I had a repairman come and make sure everything was running ok. He said that my coils were probably clogged and dirty and that they would have to be replace (at a high cost). I then had a second opion (repairman) come and explained to him what the problem was. He dismanteled the blower assembly, cleaned & reassembled, removed top cover of evaporator coil and cleaned, cleaned out door condenser coils, adjusted refridgerant charge. He also mentioned that the blower fan was set at LOW so he changed the blower fan to HI. This year as summer is approaching, I have noticed that I have water where my (indoor) air conditioner unit is. In fact the floor of my closet sometimes has a nice puddle. I can understand a little water from the condensation but feel that maybe the blower fan is set HI and blowing the water out of the water pan. Is this an accurate assumption? Any suggestions? It's getting really HOT out here in Southern California.
jray2855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:35 AM   #2
Property Manager

Air Conditioner HELP

Having not seen the unit and installation, that might be possible. Another possible cause that I see quite often may be that the condensate drain has become blocked --- causing the water to back up and be drawn up by the fan.
MrNoMaintenance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:39 AM   #3

Air Conditioner HELP

Thank you for your reply. The condensate drain has also been cleared out. In fact there is a nice constant drip going outside through this pvc pipe. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by jray2855; 06-27-2006 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:09 PM   #4
sub-contractor

Air Conditioner HELP

Your drain pan under the coil has a leak. it is possible that it is a small leak in which most of the condensate is draining properly, but some is draining through the leak into the furnace and on the floor.

the fan setting in cool mode should always be on high in a properly sized system. The repairman that you had service the unit was right to do that.
Aceinstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:49 AM   #5

Cool

Air Conditioner HELP

Thank you so much for your reply.

When I had the original repairman back to check the unit, he said that there was no crack in the pan. Although I did have someone come over before I brought the original guy back and he told me that that could possibly be the probelm and the whole coil unit (condenser unit??) would have to be replaced... Lots of $$$

I'm at a loss :confused:... right now I just put towels down at the bottom of the furnace to catch most of the water and change them daily. Hopefully I can get through the summer.

If you can think of anything else that might help, I would really appreciate it.

Last edited by jray2855; 06-30-2006 at 12:53 AM.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:15 AM   #6
Property Manager

Air Conditioner HELP

It may be an idea to revisit the fan speed. Have you had a CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) reading taken after the fan was set to Hi and compared that to the manufacture’s --- both the furnace and AC unit --- specifications? If the airflow is high enough, the flow of air could be drawing the water right off of the evaporator and not the pan. Is it possible to see if the water is dripping from the duct work? Are you able to set the speed back to Low yourself? Also, if the air flow is too fast you can actually have less efficient cooling because the air doesn’t have time to reject (transfer) the heat to the evaporator and thereby not giving you the proper delta (temperature difference between the incoming air and outgoing).
MrNoMaintenance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:41 AM   #7

Air Conditioner HELP

I will try to re-set the fan speed. How do I do that?