Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
Greg

Share |

Air Cleaners

My wife has bad allergies. In our current house the hvac team put in an april aire whole house filter and it was a HUGE help. We are now building a new house and looking to do the same.

The new contractor is doing honey well and is offering the 2 items below. Thoughts, opinions?

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/Products/Air+Cleaning/Whole-House+Enhanced/TrueCLEAN+Enhanced+Air+Cleaner.htm

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/P...ronic/F300.htm

scuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #2

Air Cleaners

Out of those 2 options I like the true clean.

HVACDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
Greg

Air Cleaners

they are saying that its another 600 bucks on the 2 units. 1500 for 2 vs 2100 for 2. They are also saying that for the cost they do not / have not seen the benefit. What makes you say the true clean if I might ask? The one benefit they did say that one had is disposable / replaceable filters instead of washing them etc.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
how

Air Cleaners

It's a controversial choice here.
I prefer the EAC's but most tech's here find them far more finicky to service over the alternatives. Most tech's are also not on site during servicing calls long enough to be able to wash, dry and test the cells. They also need to be set up properly in the original install or they give off ozone.
They only work effectively if they are clean enough, like any other filter, so you are balancing the hassle of cleaning them over the instant swap with a new filter. Personally I think the fact that you can clean them anytime and not be dependant on having replacement filters on hand, mitigates that.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #5
Greg

Air Cleaners

how, so you recommend the 300 with the washable filter?
Old 03-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
how

Air Cleaners

Yes I do.
But bear in mind that I live in a fairly temperate climate where furnaces and EAC's last longer than what tech's in harsher climates report.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:02 AM   #7
REP

Air Cleaners

My rule of thumb was always to use the throw away type for people with moderate health problems and use the electronic for people with severe health problems.
The only time contractors see the electronic ones are when they need repair wehich is why most service guys don't like them.
I myself have seen EACs that were neglected and were causing more harm than good.
If you carefully handle them when cleaning them they will last a good long time.If you are not carefull and drop them or bend any of the plates you will then need to get them repaired or replaced.
The truth is nothing cleans the air better than electronic air cleaners.Honeywell makes good ones.Aprilaire makes a good one and Trane makes a good one.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:17 AM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Air Cleaners

Honeywell True clean, or an Aprilaire 5000.

Electronic cleaners require maintenance every 30 days if you want them to work right.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:29 AM   #9
Greg

Air Cleaners

guess I should have said we live in SC. does that change any of the opinions? Still confused based on the feedback
Old 03-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #10
how

Air Cleaners

The two subjects that keep a thread running here are..

Whats the best way to clean a sensor rod?
And
EAC verses throw away filters.

I have a hard time resolving the varience in experience and certainty expressed by a lot of folks who have been doing this a long time.

I see many people with serious medical conditions who depend on EAC's just as I see others who ignore cleaning them just as they would ignore any filter system they have.

Good luck filtering through this one. Scuts
The Following User Says Thank You to how For This Useful Post:
scuts (03-30-2012)
Old 03-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #11
Greg

Air Cleaners

I hear ya, it is confusing especially for someone like me who knows to keep his nose out of places it doesnt belong. HVAC being one of them. We have an april aire system now and I am pretty sure its electric. Since I bought my first home I have always hired the installer of the hvac to maintain the hvac twice a year. This will not change for the new house, I will pay them to come out every 6 months, clean and do whatever magic they need to do to the whole system. So I am not worried that much about having them clean it vs it being disposable. And if the electric is the better system for allergies, dust, etc... then I am good to go
Old 03-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #12
REP

Air Cleaners

The installer will show you how to pull the collector cells and put them in your dish washer to clean.
I would say do this every other month but your house may require a differant time lapse.
A very tight home with quiet traffic may only need to be cleaned every 3 months.A busy house with kids opening doors and windows often and/or a pet or two may require a cleaning evey month.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Air Cleaners

Post the model number of your current Aprilaire air cleaner/filter.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote