Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2014, 09:45 PM   #1

Share |

Air blows, but no heat, how to diagnose?

The heat in my home does not work. It cools just fine, but when I turn on the heat, it doesn't do anything except blow air. I've had the unit since 2007, and the thermostat since 2011. Yes, I have it set for heat. Yes, I've checked the circuit breakers. Yes, I set the temperature for 5-10 degrees above the current temperature. When I set the temp, it waits about 2-3 minutes and then the fan kicks on, but no heat with it.

Equipment: Carrier FY4ANF030000AAAA unit, KFCEH0501N05 (heat package); Lux TX1500e thermostat

I'm trying to find out how I can determine what the problem is, but i don't know what all I'm looking at. If it's just a matter of replacing the heater kit, that looks like something I can maybe do myself. But I don't know how to test for that. Is there a way I can test various components with a multimeter or something?

I've uploaded pictures here, please let me know if you can't view them.
http://s794.photobucket.com/user/mrjinx84/library/

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by mrjinx; 01-13-2014 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Add'l info
mrjinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:01 AM   #2

is the outside heat pump running? are you able to shut off the fan or does it run no matter what you do? have you made any changes since it quit (new tstat) etc? did you inspect the fuse the little automotive one( 5 amp)

wow i hope you live in florida because if you dont youre electric backup heat is waaaay undersized if the house is very cold im guessing you wont really even feel any heat only way you could tell its working is by reading a temperature difference between room temp and air temp out of the registers
if you have been trying to run it with the panels and doors off the indoor unit that will make the outdoor unit not produce heat and overheat it as well

if you have a meter that has a amp clamp easiest thing to do is take an amperage reading around one of the main feed wires in the unit the ones with the big blue wirenuts if the elec heat is working you would see around 20 amps

Last edited by kennzz05; 01-15-2014 at 05:13 AM.
kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:56 PM   #3

kennzz05,
Thank you for taking the time to reply!
The outside unit does not turn on. When I set the thermostat to a higher temperature and set it to heat, the fan comes on but doesn't stop, I'm assuming since the temperature never actually gets to what it is set for. On the thermostat, the fan has two settings, "on" and "auto." I leave it on "auto." I can't turn it off unless i use the other toggle switch, which has 3 settings, "heat" "off" and "cool". I do live in Florida, so most nights are fine. we had some really cold days last week (interior temps got into the 50s, outside was down to the 20s) and we will be having similar days for the rest of this week. I don't mind the cold, but my wife and infant son do, lol. I only took off the panels to look inside and check the fuse and take pictures, i never turned it on unless it was all closed up. My multimeter only goes to 10A, so I'll need to get another one before I can test that. I'm going to try to get a clamp meter tomorrow after work so i can check that wire.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:03 AM   #4

Need to figure out if outdoor unit has power are there fuses in gray disconnect box on the wall you likely do have indoor heat but because its such a small heatstrip the air dosent feel warm switch to emergency heat and let it run see what happens, meanwhile u need to diagnose power outside
Old 01-16-2014, 06:31 AM   #5

I should clarify that the outside unit doesn't kick on when I turn on the heat, but it does work when I set the thermostat to cool the house. I'll check the disconnect when I get home, in case anything's changed. not sure on how to do emergency heat, but I'll look in the manuals to try to figure that out. I'll post back when I find out more.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:51 AM   #6

If outdoor runs in cooling than fuses are good just a guess but sounds like a bad defrostboard outside check for low vvoltage outside on y and c if you have power there 24vac. Than likely board is holding it out.
Em or emergency heat should be an option in the tstat
Old 01-16-2014, 07:01 AM   #7

Ok upon further thinking take the front off the tstat like the picture you posted turn off furnace breaker so you don't short cycle system put a jumper between red and yellow wires you can do it up top where those brass contacts are turn on breaker if unit runs in heat, large Freon line with black rubber insulation on it starts getting warm than replace the thermostat

Tags
carrier, no heat