Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
IGD

Rewards Points: 10

Air blowing out the return

I just purchased a short sale (first home). In the seven years since construction no one has noticed that the air is running in reverse and blowing all of the cool air out of the single return/supply in the kitchen. All of the vents are coated with dust and debris so I'm assuming this has been happening for awhile (there's little to no air flow from these vents, even in reverse).

I called the original installers of the unit and they are planning on twisting the duct work but I don't think this will solve the bigger issue that the air is flowing in the wrong direction (the filter is on the wrong side of the equation). Another company wanted to swap the unit around which sounded like a more complete answer to the problem. However they were more than twice as much as the first company.

Is there something else that maybe I'm missing? I'll be downtown tomorrow to really take a good look at the unit, but I'm not very experienced with HVAC.

Thanks in advance!

IGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

You just need to change the direction of rotation of the blower motor and replace all ductflex and clean the Evaporator

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #3

Agree. I just installed a new blower motor and wired it backwards. My new unit had a pair of wiring that I can switch to reverse the rotation.

Also, it was barely blowing out the return, and barely sucking in. Just swapping wiring it worked great.
justinm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJboy
You just need to change the direction of rotation of the blower motor and replace all ductflex and clean the Evaporator
Yes. If its been blowing thru the coil before the filter it needs a good cleaning before you call it fixed!
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
IGD

I was back downtown again and held a piece of paper where the filter was removed. I was wrong - the air is running the correct way but the vents have somehow been installed in reverse. I guess I only have two solutions to this mess, either use flexible piping and snake the ducts the correct way or flip the intake to the other side of the HVAC and cover the old hole. How this ever passed several inspectors is beyond me.

Thanks for the input and sorry about my original mistake.
IGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #6

I think you are using the return rather than the supply to test the air flow. It can have return and supply the same location.

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote