Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Air Bear Air Filter

I have an AirBear filter housing wich accepts a 20"X25"X5" Filter. A few weeks ago after we bought the house we had a HVAC guy come out and go through the furnace and A/C unit. He said the filter needs replaced and offered me one for close to $100 installed he said. I passed and he said i could use just one 20x25x1 filter and it would just get sucked up to the opening when the blower turns on.

I have a feeling this is a teriable idea. The next suggestion by a Family member was to go buy a hepa filter that is 1" and get a less efficent filter, all the way to a blue cheapie and change the first 3 or so every now and again and change all 5 once a year?

Im not so sure that would be a good idea either. I found AirBear filters onlne at the filter store in a 2 pack for alot less then $100 and they have a replacement recomendation of either 6 months or yearly.

We have pets and the only returns are on the first floor and not the second floor. There is also a 6x12 return at the furnace in the basement. So im thinking replace them every 6 months?

Mr Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
Experienced

Air Bear Air Filter

Use a single filter sized for the opening x 1"

No need for a 5" filter, standard furnace fans are not sized for this type of filter. As long as the filter is supported in a 4 sided frame there should be no problem.

I change my filter out every (3) months, cheap protection for the furnace heat exchanger and AC coil.

Use a filter with a "merv" rating of between 5 to 8.

Mark

Old 08-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #3

Air Bear Air Filter

So running a 20x25x1 is okay? This system was installed all together in 2001. New furnace and air cleaner.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
REP

Air Bear Air Filter

Air Bear filters are great filters.Because they are 5" thick and pleated they have an effective dirt catching area 3-4 times what a 1" would have and according to what I just read has a merv rating of 8 which is also great.You are right ,if you have animals you will probably need to change 2x a year.
If it was me I'd use the better filter.When I owned my own home,I had a spaceguard filter which is very simuliar to the air bear.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
Experienced

Air Bear Air Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by REP View Post
Air Bear filters are great filters.Because they are 5" thick and pleated they have an effective dirt catching area 3-4 times what a 1" would have and according to what I just read has a merv rating of 8 which is also great.You are right ,if you have animals you will probably need to change 2x a year.
If it was me I'd use the better filter.When I owned my own home,I had a spaceguard filter which is very simuliar to the air bear.
The spec that has to be looked at is the PD through the life of the filter compared to the static capability of the fan.

If you restrict airflow too much you will reduce effieciency, cause flame roll out during the heating months and possible evap coil freezing in the cooling months.

Merv 8 is just that, it is the same rating whether a 1" filter or a 5" filter, the difference is in how much will each filter hold and what pressure drop will it run at.

So that being said yes run a 1" filter, it has the same arresting qualities, you may have to support the filter against the frame at the top, so when the fan is not running it stays in place.

Mark

Last edited by Jackofall1; 08-03-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Jackofall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 38

Air Bear Air Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
The spec that has to be looked at is the PD through the life of the filter compared to the static capability of the fan.

If you restrict airflow too much you will reduce effieciency, cause flame roll out during the heating months How does this happen, flame rollout from a filter? and possible evap coil freezing in the cooling months.

Merv 8 is just that, it is the same rating whether a 1" filter or a 5" filter, the difference is in how much will each filter hold and what pressure drop will it run at.

So that being said yes run a 1" filter, it has the same arresting qualities, you may have to support the filter against the frame at the top, so when the fan is not running it stays in place. Problem with that is it usually does not stay in place and dirt sneaks by and gets into the AC coil. Even a 1/4" gap is a problem. I would use the Air Bear/April Aire PMAC filter if that is what you have as it seals properly. We sell a 5" pleated filter in a proper filter box with 99% of our furnaces. Get the freon level checked and the tech can tell you if there is too much resistance to the air by the readings he gets on the freon pressures.

Mark

Old 08-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
Experienced

Air Bear Air Filter

Yuri,

Let me rephrase, with reduced air flow (too great a PD) you will not remove enough heat from the exchanger causing overheating and trip the high temp limit. (some refer to this problem as flame rollout)

You are more an expert on the subjet than I, but I do know that if the PD is too great, hence the opening comment as to what spec to look at, the system will experience unnecessary problems and a reduction in OA efficiency.

But I will say it again Merv 8 is Merv 8 whether its 1" thick or 5" thick, the difference being in holding capacity and of course filter cost.

Mark
Old 08-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

Air Bear Air Filter

flame rollout is when the flames literally rollout the front of the burners and heat exchanger. is only caused by not enough draft thru the heat exchanger/overfiring/carbonned up or cracked heat exchanger. I don't want other readers too get scared. too restrictive of a filter is hard on the heat ex as it runs close to its max design temp and that is not good. need to get the tech to do a heat rise test thru the furnace as well as check freon pressures in AC to be safe.

cycling on the limit control we call "riding the limit control".
Old 08-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #9
Experienced

Air Bear Air Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
flame rollout is when the flames literally rollout the front of the burners and heat exchanger. is only caused by not enough draft thru the heat exchanger/overfiring/carbonned up or cracked heat exchanger. I don't want other readers too get scared. too restrictive of a filter is hard on the heat ex as it runs close to its max design temp and that is not good. need to get the tech to do a heat rise test thru the furnace as well as check freon pressures in AC to be safe.

cycling on the limit control we call "riding the limit control".
Yes use of wrong term thanks for that clarification.

I guess it would be better stated as heat rollout

Mark
Old 08-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #10
REP

Air Bear Air Filter

If you accept that the house nor the ductwork is going to increase in size and that the collection area of the 5" filter is 3-4 greater than a 1" filter then the logical conclusion is that a 5" filter will last 3-4 times longer than a 1" filter According to Trion who makes the air bear and to research products who make the spaceguard that turns out to be once a year in most cases.
Why anyone would want to complicate this is beyond me.
And yes a LOADED filter can cause the air to move slower and to cause overheating or frozen a/c coils but in more than 30 years I only ran across that a few times.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #11

Air Bear Air Filter

I was able to find 3 Merv 8 Air Bear filters for $67 shipped. I Just Dont know if i want to do a single 1 inch filter or even stack 5 filters. Now with such a large filter would one of these work?

http://www.discountfilters.com/produ...product=112063

It seems like this would help with the DP and would help with the Flame Rollout.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #12
REP

Air Bear Air Filter

Sure why not.We are not dealing with rocket science,we are talking about a filter for God's sake.
In order for a filter to contribute to flame roll out it would have to be totally pluged with probably an inch of dust.
Someone spent extra to install a good filter that might not need to be replacede only once a year or 8 months.
Even if you replace the 1" filter every month,because of the material it is made of,it won't filter as good as the woven material of the air bear.
The item you show is very cheaply made and will give you a cheap report but if it makes you feel better then go ahead.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #13
Experienced

Air Bear Air Filter

Stick with the 5" filter, your system was installed that way and chances are it will be ok, Merv 8 is what you will need and that sounds like a great price. Just make sure you change them frequently enough.

There is a possibility of heat roll out with any filter if its not changed frequently enough.

Mark
Old 08-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #14
AKA HVACTECHFW

Air Bear Air Filter

You can not "stack" 5 1" filters. You will increase the static pressure too much. Get the correct filter for the opening. 5" filters don't have to be replaced as often. Typically 6 months -1 yr. NO need for the gauge, just visually check your filter.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #15
Hvac Pro

Air Bear Air Filter

Those gauges are not very accurate and all it takes is a bit of dust to plug the sensing hole/port. For about $300-500 I can set you up with a proper magnehelic gauge or dwyer differential pressure gauge to tell you when the filter is dirty. That is a good price for the airbears. I sell Merv 10 16x25x5 filters for $40-48. Merv 8s would be over $30.

Last edited by yuri; 08-03-2011 at 08:47 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote