Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2008, 05:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Advice - Whole House Fans !

I am buying a new home, but it does not have a whole house fan system Keeping the house cool and saving money on electric bill sounds interesting, but do not have a lot of
Information, like how much am I saving really vs. the set up expenses? My new neighbor has purchased a whole house fan from Houseneeds.com and told that he is happy with the performance.

Some of the questions I have about the whole house fan system:

Are they worth the time and expense?
Are they quite?
How difficult would this be to add after we move in?
Can anybody recommend a reliable and cost effective brand?
Is this a project I could do myself over a weekend?

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Last edited by sandy2982; 05-02-2008 at 05:33 AM.
sandy2982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

They're great. I couldn't live without mine. The one I have isn't quiet, but it is old. Even the new ones aren't silent, nor as quiet as a box fan.

As far as energy savings...Maybe a little. Whole house fans have a pretty healthy electric motor, but should be cheaper to run than an AC unit/blower.

To install one, you're going to have to first determine if your house is going to allow it! If your house has roof trusses, it is 100% safe to say that you can't cut out the bottom chord of the truss to install the fan. If you have conventional ceiling joists, all you need is some basic framing skills to header off one or two joists and create the rough opening for the fan unit. Be sure that you understand what you're cutting before you cut though. There are often some very vital structural elements in the attic at ceiling level that just cannot be cut, so you need to evaluate it first, or pay an expert to help you.

If you're not very familiar with electrical work, I'd strongly suggest hiring the electrical part of the job out to a licensed electrician. You're looking at installation of a new circuit, as well as wiring the switch and timer. That's fairly involved work.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:26 AM   #3

Hi thekctermite,

Your right I guess I shall go by the suggestion you gave. Will pay a licensed electrician or take an experts views on the same before takin a final call on the same. Thanks !
sandy2982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:08 PM   #4

Hi there

I just wanted to let you know Whole house fans are the best thing since sliced bread. My company installs them and I would be happy to talk to you about them. You are probably not in our service area so we probably wouldnt be able to help you but i am sure we could find someone who can. I would be happy answer any of your questions and tell you what i have learned about these money saver.

My work number is 916-343-3214
Kindra is offline   Reply With Quote