Advice On Selecting HVAC System? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2012, 01:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Advice on selecting HVAC System?

The air on an old Carrier split system Propane Gas/Air Conditioning unit is not keeping up in 90+ temps. The tech says that the readings on the compressor indicate that it is pretty much toast. The unit is running just about constantly. So, I guess he's probably right, right? I think the system is about 10 years old at this point with no way of knowing how well it had been maintained prior to the past two years.

I am having trust issues from recent bad contractor experiences. Yes, I am having more than one contractor bid. Any suggestions on finding a good and honest hvac contractor? Many reputable folks in my area don't belong to the BBB. That being said, the same hvac contractor recommends a hybrid propane/heat pump as I would need to upgrade my electric service to 200 amp for a heat pump only.

Any suggestions on systems and/or brands?? I am seeing some comments that Goodman products don't last past 8 years, although they offer the same warranty on parts as Carrier. Have they gotten better in recent years?

BTW: (I need to think about resale in the next few years, so what makes the most sense in a down market and a generally lower middle class neighborhood? Upgraded electrical power or a more economical heating system? I know that the electric wire should be placed higher than it is at the house, probably not up to code.)

Thanks,
Just a Girl

Advertisement

Last edited by elaineycabaney; 08-22-2012 at 01:40 AM. Reason: want to add to it
elaineycabaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:29 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,734

I'd get a second opinion on the compressor. Some techs condemn compressors when they don't know what is causing the problem.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 334

did he do anything else? check/clean the evaporator or condenser coil? verify the charge? what exactly did he do to identify that the compressor was "bad"? i would say that you would need to at least add/pull some gas to see if the pressures go up or down, not sure what all would differentiate a low charge condition vs. a compressor pumping issue.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,606

agree with other comments..get a second opinion...10 yr old unit still has some life..if.. its running proper...needs ..pressure and temp..ckeck...coil and condenser cleaning...amp draw on compressor...these will tell you how your unit is running...and if it ready for thr grave...ben
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
HOTDAWG

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
I'd get a second opinion on the compressor. Some techs condemn compressors when they don't know what is causing the problem.
Agree
As far as makes are concerned it's not really the name but how they are installed. For any big name brand you must be a registered dealer and you are put through a screening process, so the installs are done to a higher level.