Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Advice on basement register placement/sizing - hvac/house diagram included.

When I bought my house half of the basement was crudely "finished". On the "finished" side there were two older registers (yellow on the diagram). The furnace is only about five years old so I assume this space and these registers were taken into account when it was installed, but I have no Manual-J or Manual-D information on my house or the install.

Fast forward to present. I tore out the whole thing and properly insulated and framed it. New windows.

- I'm trying to determine if the existing basement registers are ideally placed or if I should relocate or even remove them. I know it's not ideal to have a register coming directly off the trunk, but I'm inclined to leave "#1" since it blows directly into the seating area. #2 seems like it should have its own branch as there are currently three 11-3/4"x7-3/4" registers on the 3.5"x10" branch.
- Also wondering about the sizing of the registers and the duct opening at the register. Should I use the same sizing as the rest of the house?
- Lastly, does anyone see anything really terrible about how the house is currently set up? Anything grossly out of balance?

Ignore the small font dimensions on the diagram that Visio attached; the arrows and large text are what is accurate.
http://www.patrickdaley.com/wpg2?g2_...2_itemId=42693

Last edited by buckybadger; 08-22-2011 at 12:08 PM.
buckybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
REP

Rewards Points: 500

It sounds like you have done a lot of work.With the cost of energy going up all the time,your insulation and new windows will pay for themselves sooner rather then later.
Now is the time to bite the bullet and get the "J" and "D" done,even if you have to pay for them.
Your wallet and comfort will thank you for the next twenty years.

REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:48 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Is Manual J/D going to address my initial question on the placement/sizing of the basement registers? Not opposed to doing it even though I'll likely be selling this house in a few years, but the big issue before me heading into winter has to do with the basement registers.
buckybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
REP

Rewards Points: 500

Here is some reading material.If you read and understand most of it,you'll be way ahead of where I was 35 years ago.
The second site mentions the manuel "T" and "B" which pertains to size and location of registers and grilles but DUCT DESIGN | Duct design services | Hvac design | Manual J | Manual D calcsyou must have the "J","D",to work Green Building tips for Net Zero Homesoff of.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote