Adding Second Thermostat To HVAC Unit - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2010, 10:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Adding second thermostat to HVAC unit

I tried searching for this as I'm sure it must have been asked before, but I was not able to locate anything after lots of searching (maybe I need to work on my searching skills).

Anyway, we have a single stage furnace for our two-story home and only one zone. The thermostat is located on the first floor. Our second floor (where our bedrooms are located) gets too cold at night during the winter and too hot during the summer. What I'd like to do is add a second thermostat upstairs to control the HVAC in order to keep the upstairs warmer/cooler. I realize that I will be overheating/overcooling the downstairs but I'm willing to pay for the utility bill for the comfort of my family until we can upgrade to a better system that has multiple zones or a second unit.

Can I just wire another thermostat in series with the first one on the first floor and make sure the first one is always on when I want to control the HVAC with the upstairs thermostat? (ie, during winter nights, I would set the downstairs thermostat to 100 degrees or something very high and control the upstairs temp via the upstairs thermostat)

Are there any potential problems with this?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

hoanphu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,094

get a Honeywell wireless stat with remote that you can take from room to room with you so your hvac equipment adjusts to the room you are in

http://www.forwardthinking.honeywell..._products.html

Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 11:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Great suggestion. After reading a bit about the system from your link, that sounds like the best thing for us. Now he next step is the best place to buy it. Looks like amazon has the kits for sale. I don't know why I'd need an HD thermostat so I think I'm gonna go for the SD kit.

Thanks so much.
hoanphu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:24 AM   #4
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,094

no problem, I agree about HD! Who in the world need HD on a thermostat?