Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2011, 08:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Adding new ductwork to a second floor.

Hello all,

I am looking for some feedback on whether my ductwork plans are feasible, and also a little guidance on some sizing of ductwork.

I currently live in an American Four Square house that only has forced air vents to the first floor, from the furnace in the basement. I have gravity vents between each room upstairs and the first floor. I'm sure this worked great when there was a coal fired furnace roasting the heat up throughout the house, but unfortunately with my natural gas furnace it doesn't

I would like to run an additional stack to my attic and then branch off it to each of the four rooms upstairs. I have been trying to research this online and at the library, but I can't get my hands on any definitive nubmers to tell me what sizes to use. I'll try to keep this neat and organized.

I need to run a stack from my main trunk line through two floors to my attic (approx 18ft) then I need to run vents through my attic to 4 rooms upstairs (two larger bedrooms, one small bedroom and a bathroom) My main questions are....

1. What size stack should I run to supply the vents? I would prefer to run it through an existing 2x4 wall, as there aren't any closets downstairs to hide a stack in.

2. What size duct should I run to each room and how many vents should I put in each room? The larger rooms are approx 12x12 each, the bathroom is 10x10, and the small room approx 12x8.

3. Finally from what I can tell I have a 3 ton furnace, can it handle adding the additional ductwork?

I understand HVAC can be touchy, but I can't afford to pay an expert to come in right now and upgrade my whole system. I am more than mechanically inclined enough to do the ductwork, I just need some guidance on sizing. Also any tips or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

vr4Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

You're not going to get all that in a 2x4 wall. Lets say you want 200 cfm in the big bedrooms,100 in the bathroom and 100 in the small bedroom. That's going to take a 8x16,at least, trunk to feed those 6-6" supplies. Going to also put return in the bedrooms?

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #3

Thanks Marty,

As for the trunk, you say 200cfm to each big room and 100 cfm to the small would take 6, 6" lines. Should I run two 6" lines to each large bedroom? If I need to run a large trunk, I suppose I can figure a way to run one. I plan on tearing out the plaster in my dining room and putting up drywall, so it won't be much extra work, I was just hoping to hide it in the wall.

As for the return I plan on leaving the gravity vents in all the rooms in hopes that will allow the cold air to return to the first floor. Also each door has at least a 1" gap on the bottom to allow air to flow under. If I do run a return directly from the rooms, what size should it be?

Thanks again for the advice.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

The 1" gap under the door will do. I'd run 2-6" on the big bedrooms and place the registers where they "wash" any exterior walls and windows. You can always close them up some if it's too much air which is a whole lot easier then adding more.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #5

Thanks again for the info. I'll work on figuring out how best to run a trunk to the attic. I think I have a place figured out.

I may have some more questions as I get into the project. I'll post them if I have them. First project this weekend is to seal up the existing duct and insulate.