Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2010, 06:46 PM   #1

Share |

Adding Heatstrips

Does anyone know how to add heatstrips to a gas furnace system w/ heatpump ,I have a 90% ducane and a heat pump with outdoor stat to change over at about 36 i have a carrier smart touch screen stat , would like to install 20kw heat strip Thanks for any help Tim

glorybound32000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:50 PM   #2

Adding Heatstrips

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorybound32000 View Post
Does anyone know how to add heatstrips to a gas furnace system w/ heatpump ,I have a 90% ducane and a heat pump with outdoor stat to change over at about 36 i have a carrier smart touch screen stat , would like to install 20kw heat strip Thanks for any help Tim
Why do you want to do that? How would you control the Gas vs heat strip vs heat pump?

zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:42 AM   #3

Adding Heatstrips

Thats what i am having trouble with i know how to physically install the heat strips just having trouble how to energize them, on my stat i do have manual change over i didnt know if some how i could use the emergency heat feature to energize heat strips thanks
Old 11-28-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
Hvac Pro

Adding Heatstrips

No. The emergency heat feature energizes the furnace but not both.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #5

Adding Heatstrips

I'm sure we could figure something out. What's the goal of the project, as in how do you want it to operate?
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Adding Heatstrips

Is your electric panel box bug enough to handle the additional 80 plus amps the 20 KW strip heat would draw.

Is your electric rate so low that electric resistance heat is cheaper then the gas. If so. Why did you get dual fuel.

Do you have 3 foot of space between the indoor coil and where you want to install the strip heaters. So you don't damage the heat pump. Or are you not intending to run the heat pump and strip heaters at the same time.

Are you going to add the safety switch that prevents the strip heaters from coming on if the blower is not working.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:29 PM   #7

Adding Heatstrips

Thanks for all the help ,First i do have plenty of room for the heat strip and thats why i wanted to run on furnace operation so we wouldnt run into a problem when fans not running ,i also have plenty of panel for power,and i put in duel fuel before i was put on pipp for electric on ohio power the new program i am on i only have to pay about 67 bucks a mounth and the diffrence is eaten by them so i would like to heat with electric is much as i can,just thinking maybe putting on seperate stat to run in fan only mode what do you think , p.s i do get help with my gas bill from heap since i am disabled but thought if i put in heat strips (that i have already have ) than someone else could maybe recieve the monies i get from heap make uncle sams $$$ go farther
Old 11-28-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Adding Heatstrips

Might want to make sue your electric rate won;t change. After you start drinking electric running that strip heat.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:49 PM   #9

Adding Heatstrips

Answer :a correct response to a question asked to test one's knowledge

I can see how one would have 10,000 post on this site for asking 5questions before answering the one posted ,Tradesman i wonder how many jack of all maybe master of oneselfs own opinion, sorry for being so brash ,I like martys aproach better sorry to bother you professionals
Old 11-29-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Adding Heatstrips

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorybound32000 View Post
Answer :a correct response to a question asked to test one's knowledge

I can see how one would have 10,000 post on this site for asking 5questions before answering the one posted ,Tradesman i wonder how many jack of all maybe master of oneselfs own opinion, sorry for being so brash ,I like martys aproach better sorry to bother you professionals

Perhaps we/I ask all those questions so that the answer doesn't end up being a case of the blind leading the blind.

People that truely want help. And want it to work safely, and right. Answer those questions.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:55 PM   #11

Adding Heatstrips

At this point im not sure who is the blind one i still havent got an answer ,and who answers a question with a question i dont need the union hall , the inspector, the enviromentalist ,osha , or my banker to answer just somone with a little more knowlege than myself
Old 11-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Adding Heatstrips

Its the more knowledge then you yourself have. That makes the questions necessary.

And your lack of answering them. That hinders getting to the how to.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:37 AM   #13

Adding Heatstrips

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorybound32000
Thanks for all the help ,First i do have plenty of room for the heat strip and thats why i wanted to run on furnace operation so we wouldnt run into a problem when fans not running ,i also have plenty of panel for power,and i put in duel fuel before i was put on pipp for electric on ohio power the new program i am on i only have to pay about 67 bucks a mounth and the diffrence is eaten by them so i would like to heat with electric is much as i can,just thinking maybe putting on seperate stat to run in fan only mode what do you think , p.s i do get help with my gas bill from heap since i am disabled but thought if i put in heat strips (that i have already have ) than someone else could maybe recieve the monies i get from heap make uncle sams $$$ go farther
He seems to have a problem with people and cant admit any type of error. Well you know he has been there and done that. Marty has a good approach and simple advice deserves simple manners like marty.

Not to mention he is piccking on the disabled

Last edited by ianc435; 11-30-2010 at 04:33 PM.
ianc435 is offline   Reply With Quote