Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2009, 10:29 AM   #1

Share |

Adding a heat source

I am in the process of adding an additional heat source, an outdoor wood furnace. My current system is a dual fuel heat pump, with a two zone system. I want to have the option to have the heat pump or the gas heat to come on automatically if the outdoor furnace were not to be fired or the fire were to go out. My other issue is I want to ensure the zoning remains in play when using the wood furnace. Has anyone done this or have ideas on how?

Thanks
Kyle

kafansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:45 AM   #2

Adding a heat source

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafansler View Post
I am in the process of adding an additional heat source, an outdoor wood furnace. My current system is a dual fuel heat pump, with a two zone system. I want to have the option to have the heat pump or the gas heat to come on automatically if the outdoor furnace were not to be fired or the fire were to go out. My other issue is I want to ensure the zoning remains in play when using the wood furnace. Has anyone done this or have ideas on how?

Thanks
Kyle
In order to first flesh out the details of the logic, here are some questions.

if the outdoor furnace were not to be fired or the fire were to go out.
how does the logic circuitry know if the furnace were not to be fired?

My other issue is I want to ensure the zoning remains in play when using the wood furnace.
Are wood furnaces adaptable to zoning?

So, one input to the logic block is a flame sensor for the wood stove, another is the temp. of at least one room.
The outputs are DC signals? Switch contact closures?
Does the logic block need to store a program?
You want battery back-up?

Homebuilt logic will be $10 to $20 in parts and require some electronics know-how to assemble and test.
Commercially built logic will be much more bucks and will take some Internet searching and you still may need custom, but very simple, interfacing circuits.

And there is possibly a compromising of personal safety if this circuitry malfunctions. Above all it must not defeat the built-in safety equip. and sensors of your existing HVAC equip.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 10-03-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:02 AM   #3

Adding a heat source

Thanks for the reply, let me clarify.

No logic circuit is needed to detect flame. I want to have the existing dual fuel system to be the back up and to only come on if the temp gets too low in the house(thus the fire in the stove must not be able to keep up or has gone out).

The zoning portion is the house currently has two zones, they are controlled by duct zone valves I want to still have them operate as now but also with the new heat also.

I know I can accomplish the first issue by adding an additional thermostat but I worry I will not be able to control the temp in both zones.

Thanks
Kyle
kafansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:25 AM   #4

Adding a heat source

So if the wood furnace can't keep up, as detected by a sensor or 'stat either at the wood furnace or in the house, a relay drops out and switches in your dual fuel backup system.
This part is easy.

Is it that you need the zone control 'stats to also work with your wood furnace? If so, post a schematic of the control circuitry of your dual fuel system.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 10-04-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote