Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2008, 10:50 AM   #1

Share |

Adding duct to air handler

I am moving into a new home soon (new to me, built in 2003) and in the home inspection found out that the duct to the master closet is not connected at the air handler in the attic. The inspector told me that the best way to solve the issue is to use a triangle box versus a Y-splitter but I haven't been able to find much information about that online. Can anyone help me with this? I'm attaching a picture of the issue in case my verbage is all wrong.

This is also the first home of mine that the ducting looked like that, like an octopus in my attic. Is that normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Adding duct to air handler-duct.jpg  

Jay_eS_Iye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Personally, I would call in a HVAC guy, then mess with that. Looks like the person that hooked it up was on Acid. As for the Triangle box, it has to be manufactured by someone with a Brake & Bending press.

Do yourself the favor, and call in the pro's, due to there are some things better left for those that are paid to take care of it.

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:37 AM   #3

Hahaha my attic looks/looked like that too. I said the same thing except I figured it was crack not acid.

They had a 25 foot flex run to go literally 5 feet from the trunk. NOTHING was sealed properly. It was warmer in the attic than in the house due to all of the leaks.

Last edited by pcampbell; 02-26-2008 at 10:45 AM.
pcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
Beer Advocate

OMG! LOL!

Thats insane, I don't have my AC in the attic so I cant comment if thats normal, but my god what a crazy thing to sort out!
Taipans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:42 PM   #5

ok, I'm not crazy then. How do HVAC layouts usually look? I know there are some things to work out on mine b/c I have some hoses with sharp bends in them and going around beams for no apparent reason... acid,crack, maybe a LSD cocktail, who knows what caused it
Jay_eS_Iye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:29 PM   #6

I believe that basically the flex duct should be as short as possible and as taut as possible. Any bunching in the flex is increased resistance the air has to overcome. Other than that all connections sealed with mastic and or tape. If there is a sharp bend coming off the box it should be in an elbow not in the flex I think. The elbows are smooth inside for less resistance. I am sure the more knowledgeable will chime in.

I used zip ties and foil backed tape on the connection from the flex to the boots and to the box.

This might help also:

http://www.eere.energy.gov/buildings..._seal-0783.pdf
pcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:32 AM   #7
Beer Advocate

Post an after picture when your done!
Taipans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:41 PM   #8
Tin Knocker

Hey there,just so i got this right,it looks to me like the flex is not connected to the supply duct.In that case,you will need to measure the size of the flex (diam)and go and get yourself a "spin in collar".Any HVAC store will have them.Usually they come with a damper in them.

http://www.codycompany.com/parts.php?product_id=145

There should be one allready attached somewhere,if so you will need to re-connect the flex to it .Once you have it over the collar,put a few screws in the sides to hold it in place.Use some foil tap or duct sealer mastic to seal the joint.

Last edited by shep; 02-27-2008 at 08:10 PM.
shep is offline   Reply With Quote