Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Adding central air

The humidity has me thinking about adding central air to our 2000 sq.ft. split level we bought last year. It was built in 02, so it already has ducting. There is already a condenser coil above the furnace and a thermostat capable of handing it. I know I will need the following:

- Exterior unit
- Pad for said unit
- 2 spots in panel
- Exterior disconnect panel
- HVAC tech to run lines, charge system and inspect

Anything else? My brother in law comes across AC units in the high end reno's he does and should be able to get us that. I can pour concrete and we have the panel space. Any guess on the cost of a HVAC tech to finish the install and is there anything else I can get done up to that point?

rich_kildow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Adding central air

hopefully you do not have a condenser coil above your furnace.....its any ones guess what you will be charged..... really can vary a lot......

carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,204

Adding central air

unless your outside unit is on the roof you do not have a condensing unit above the furnace. a stat is merely a switch, it can and will always handle what it's told to do.

what size existing and what are you wanting? what's the pre-existing trouble, why you're inquiring about a change?
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
Experienced HVAC Tech

Rewards Points: 250

Adding central air

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_kildow
The humidity has me thinking about adding central air to our 2000 sq.ft. split level we bought last year. It was built in 02, so it already has ducting. There is already a condenser coil above the furnace and a thermostat capable of handing it. I know I will need the following:

- Exterior unit
- Pad for said unit
- 2 spots in panel
- Exterior disconnect panel
- HVAC tech to run lines, charge system and inspect

Anything else? My brother in law comes across AC units in the high end reno's he does and should be able to get us that. I can pour concrete and we have the panel space. Any guess on the cost of a HVAC tech to finish the install and is there anything else I can get done up to that point?
Here I'll be helpful,
I have come across this pre done stuff in a few installs recently and it makes our job a lot easier.
To just run lines, connect, and inspect I would expect for around $1200- $950. That's where my price would be at least. But that's assuming that you provide the condenser outside.
Haha yes it is funny a little that u said condenser above your furnace but I wouldn't expect u to know all the terminology of our trade being that you don't work in it all day, just the same I would hope you wouldn't judge me for not knowing the names of everything you deal with on a daily basis. However for future reference the part above your furnace is called an evaporator and the outside part is the condenser.
HVAC1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:37 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,724

Adding central air

Funny thing is. The coil above his furnace is a condenser if he gets a heat pump so that e has a dual fuel system.

What it will cost to have done, varies by the area. May want to call around and find out if any companies in your area will do what you want.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
Experienced HVAC Tech

Adding central air

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere
Funny thing is. The coil above his furnace is a condenser if he gets a heat pump so that e has a dual fuel system.

What it will cost to have done, varies by the area. May want to call around and find out if any companies in your area will do what you want.
Thanks for the correction. I'm glad u were able to knit pick my post for a technicality under certain conditions but this OP asked about adding central air not a dual fuel onto his existing furnace for intensive purposes we will refer to it as an evap coil. Troubleshooting in the winter we can call it an indoor coil but right now it's an evap.
However been brings up a good point. Mr.OP are u on natural gas or Propane or other?

Last edited by HVAC1000; 06-25-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 256

Adding central air

You first are going to need to find out what coil you have above your furnace now.

Is the coil housed in a factory made and painted enclosure that matches the furnace or has it been built into the duct work?
If it's in a factory made enclosure then the model and serial #'s should be on a tag on the access panel. Find them and do some research or post the #'s here.
If the coil was installed into the duct work there is still going to be a tag on the coil itself identifying it, but will just be a whole lot harder getting the info.

What size, capacity?
You need to know this because it will dictate what size of outdoor unit you will need your brother-in-law to try and come up with.

What refrigerant(s) is it certified to be used on?

A 2002 vintage coil could possibly be built to handle both R22 and R410A, but some research will need to be done to verify that once you have the model# and manufacturer of the coil.

What kind of metering device (if any) was originally installed or will be needed?
The type and size of the metering device will again dictate what "drop in" outdoor unit can be used. This device can usually always be changed to assure proper operation of the used outdoor unit.

There are the other things to consider.

Spending the money to get a used outdoor unit installed is going to be the same or more as if you were having a brand new system installed.... depends on the contractor. In my case I would charge you more because I have to plan ahead for unknowns that come along with a used piece of equipment. At least with a new unit I assume everything is perfect and if it's not I can go back to the manufacturer and hope to get reimbursed for time wasted "fixing" something. With used equipment you're the one going to be assuring the contractor he gets paid for every minute he spends dealing with these things.

With used you have zero warranty on the system as a whole. You MIGHT find a contractor that will warranty his work, but that is going to be extremely limited to more than likely agreeing to repair for no cost anything he did wrong. The two main expensive components are yours 100%.

The chances of finding a perfect match that will be as efficient as possible are 50/50 IMO. And that efficiency is going to be, at best, whatever it was when the outdoor unit was produced. So, you're going to pay top dollar for an install that will be potentially comparable to a 20 year old system? And who can tell you what the used unit went through in it's life? Does it have 2 years left in it or 20?

You might be surprised once you start researching that the cost to do what you're looking to do and what you get for that cost when compared to a brand new system with full warranties isn't going to be that much different in costs over say....... 10 years.

Last edited by old_squid; 06-25-2013 at 09:18 AM.
old_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,724

Adding central air

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC1000 View Post
Thanks for the correction. I'm glad u were able to knit pick my post for a technicality under certain conditions but this OP asked about adding central air not a dual fuel onto his existing furnace for intensive purposes we will refer to it as an evap coil. Troubleshooting in the winter we can call it an indoor coil but right now it's an evap.
However been brings up a good point. Mr.OP are u on natural gas or Propane or other?

LOL. Funny thing is, I was replying to Doc. I didn't even read your full post.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
Experienced HVAC Tech

Adding central air

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere

LOL. Funny thing is, I was replying to Doc. I didn't even read your full post.
Oh,yes,i see.... Very well
Old 06-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Adding central air

I to stand correct it could be a condenser if we are not talking a straight A/C unit...... thanks beenthere your right again.......

carmon is offline   Reply With Quote