Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2007, 01:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

adding 3rd zone to honeywell trol-a-temp system

I have a Honeywell Trol-A-Temp system, installed in 2001. The panel is a Mastertrol mini-3 with two zones using Trol-A-Temp 8x16AOBD-BM dampers. I just finished my attic and I had an HVAC guy add a 3rd zone. The quality of his work is suspect, so I am trying to troubleshoot this without contacting him. Here's the background:

The 8x16AOBD-BM doesn't seem to be available anymore, so the HVAC contractor used a ZD8x12 that has an MD47D1004 damper control. The M847D1004 is a 2-wire system, while the controls on the 8x16AOBD-BM are 3+2 wire.

The original zones are normally open. The literature on the M847D1004 is contradictory; if you search "M847D1004" it says it " Motor Type - Power open, spring closed", but if you search "honeywell ZD8x12" the descriptions say "The ZD is a power close, and spring open damper." From testing, it would appear it is normally open.

On the the mini-3, the leads are Red (M1), Green (M6) and White (M4).

I'm pretty sure the HVAC guy used the wrong leads on the new zone damper control unit. Here is what i get from testing with a volt/ohm meter:

Zone 1 on, hot pair for zone is Red/White, damper is open. Zones 2 & 3 off, hot pair for zones are Red/Green, damper closes
Zones 1 & 2 on, hot pair for zones is Red/White, dampers open. Zone 3 off, hot pair is Red/Green, damper closes
Zones 1, 2 & 3 on, hot pair is Red/White for all dampers all open

however, the HVAC guy used the Red/White leads to connect the new zone (red, white and green are connected to the mini-3, but only 2 get used at the damper controller). It would close when the zone was in use and open the rest of the time. It seems obvious to me that it should be the Red/Green pair (M1 & M6), but I want to double check. ALSO, when the zone is supposed to be closed, it doesn't close all the way. It gets 90% and then starts clicking until I push on the damper control. When the zone is supposed to open, it get's stuck about 50% until I push on it (no clicking). I don't want to replace an $80 damper control unless I really need to .. and the description of the replacement control bothers me (see above).

Oh, I have no installation instructions for this damper .. what do the arms above the damper control unit do? They get locked down with a wingnut, but I can't see that they have any function other than acting as a spacer between the damper and the damper controller.

Any help would be great appreciated.

Last edited by bhelman; 09-25-2007 at 08:39 PM.
bhelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:06 PM   #2

I have a very similar problem with the honeywell damper being stuck on open and making a clicking sound. Can you please tell me what you did to solve your problem .. thanks

game211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:37 PM   #3
Journeyman

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by game211 View Post
I have a very similar problem with the honeywell damper being stuck on open and making a clicking sound. Can you please tell me what you did to solve your problem .. thanks
Replace the motor.
pipefitter636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhelman View Post
I have a Honeywell Trol-A-Temp system, installed in 2001. The panel is a Mastertrol mini-3 with two zones using Trol-A-Temp 8x16AOBD-BM dampers. I just finished my attic and I had an HVAC guy add a 3rd zone. The quality of his work is suspect, so I am trying to troubleshoot this without contacting him. Here's the background:

The 8x16AOBD-BM doesn't seem to be available anymore, so the HVAC contractor used a ZD8x12 that has an MD47D1004 damper control. The M847D1004 is a 2-wire system, while the controls on the 8x16AOBD-BM are 3+2 wire.

The original zones are normally open. The literature on the M847D1004 is contradictory; if you search "M847D1004" it says it " Motor Type - Power open, spring closed", but if you search "honeywell ZD8x12" the descriptions say "The ZD is a power close, and spring open damper." From testing, it would appear it is normally open.

On the the mini-3, the leads are Red (M1), Green (M6) and White (M4).

I'm pretty sure the HVAC guy used the wrong leads on the new zone damper control unit. Here is what i get from testing with a volt/ohm meter:

Zone 1 on, hot pair for zone is Red/White, damper is open. Zones 2 & 3 off, hot pair for zones are Red/Green, damper closes
Zones 1 & 2 on, hot pair for zones is Red/White, dampers open. Zone 3 off, hot pair is Red/Green, damper closes
Zones 1, 2 & 3 on, hot pair is Red/White for all dampers all open

however, the HVAC guy used the Red/White leads to connect the new zone (red, white and green are connected to the mini-3, but only 2 get used at the damper controller). It would close when the zone was in use and open the rest of the time. It seems obvious to me that it should be the Red/Green pair (M1 & M6), but I want to double check. ALSO, when the zone is supposed to be closed, it doesn't close all the way. It gets 90% and then starts clicking until I push on the damper control. When the zone is supposed to open, it get's stuck about 50% until I push on it (no clicking). I don't want to replace an $80 damper control unless I really need to .. and the description of the replacement control bothers me (see above).

Oh, I have no installation instructions for this damper .. what do the arms above the damper control unit do? They get locked down with a wingnut, but I can't see that they have any function other than acting as a spacer between the damper and the damper controller.

Any help would be great appreciated.
M1 & M6 are the correct terminals when using a ZD damper on a Trolatemp system...
Terry Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
Licensed Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 250

Replace the motor.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,762

This thread was originally made in 2007.

Please check post dates, so you don't revive 2, 3 or more year old threads.

Thank you.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote