Add A Small Micro Duct To Existing Heating? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 105

Add a small micro duct to existing heating?

Hi and thanks.
We moved into a home that used radiators for all the heating in the rooms via solar panels on the roof..

Long story short we ripped all of this out and added 2 furnaces for the first and 2nd floor.

The back half of our roof is actually a deck so the attic and furnace for the top level are all in the front half of the house.

The heating is fine except for a large walk in closet that my wife uses wich is under the roof deck part of the house ... we could not fit traditional ducting into this area without ripping apart all kinds of stuff..

My question is, could I add a micro/high velocity duct off of the main heating run in the attic and feed this over to her closet? Or is that a compete waste of time ...??

I can make the run without any additional structure changes and I know the flow would be minimal but afterall this is a closet and that might be all it needs...

Thanks in advance ..

Advertisement

beachfront71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,480

That would depend on how warm she wants it. how long the run will be. And how small the duct is. Your furnace doesn't put out a high pressure air to force air through small ducts.

Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 105

Thanks,

Total distance is about 7 feet .. pretty straight shot .. maybe one elbow needed to get the right height.

It would go through my closet so I could hide it up top above all the shelving...

Not looking for it to be as warm as the rest of the house but looking to just raise the temp a bit as that closet .. when the door is shut .. stays pretty cold.

Not sure what duct size would be needed .. I am guessing 5" PVC pipe or something simular.
beachfront71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 156

I am in no way a HVAC guy but pose this question to the pros.

Could this problem be solved with just adding a return vent in the closet? that way it would suck in the warmer air from the surrounding room and somewhat solve the problem.

Just curious.
bcgfdc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachfront71 View Post
Thanks,

Total distance is about 7 feet .. pretty straight shot .. maybe one elbow needed to get the right height.

It would go through my closet so I could hide it up top above all the shelving...

Not looking for it to be as warm as the rest of the house but looking to just raise the temp a bit as that closet .. when the door is shut .. stays pretty cold.

Not sure what duct size would be needed .. I am guessing 5" PVC pipe or something simular.
Use metal duct, or flex duct. A 6 ".
Old 04-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgfdc3 View Post
I am in no way a HVAC guy but pose this question to the pros.

Could this problem be solved with just adding a return vent in the closet? that way it would suck in the warmer air from the surrounding room and somewhat solve the problem.

Just curious.

Code prohibits a return being in a closet.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:04 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

might just be trying to heat a brick check the ceiling and walls in the closet are they raw to the perimeter of the house and or garage.tapping in isn't a big drain on the main supply just have a volume damper to cheat it down to a bearable temp when the doors slide open..length of PVC capped on one end and drill holes in it and mount it up on the closet ceiling down discharge...small holes at first then index finger diameter just throwing this out to you..

Advertisement

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote