Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2012, 01:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Add Second Intake to furnace

I was just talking to the person that did a lot of modifications to this house over fifteen years. He said that our Payne Plus 80 gas furnace used to have two returns but when he added the addition, he removed one of the returns and didn't replace it. He told me that this furnace can have problems if it doesn't get enough airflow.

We have a room that's just on the other side of the furnace from a wall that doesn't get a lot of air flow. We've been using a fan to blow air out to induce flow. I'd like to put in a second air return on the furnace from this room but I'm not sure quite how to go about it or if it's something that I should try to do. I'm looking for some advice and pointers to information.

Some basic google searches mostly got me info on fresh air intakes, i.e. air from outside. That's definitely -not- what I want. So, now that I've changed it from intakes to returns, let's see if I get better search results.

Thanks,
Darren

Last edited by Darren Stalder; 01-15-2012 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Use the right words - return rather than intake
Darren Stalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 510

I don't know how much return air you need to add. The amount of existing return air and a manometer reading would help...

If you have a horizontal application in the attic it is usually not too difficult to add a 12x12 or a 12x24 filter grill in the ceiling with a 12 inch flex connecting this to the return air plenum.

Houston204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:55 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,802

Pics of furnace room and this wall would help.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:26 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

if the lone return is making any kind of noise as in sucking air then you might want to add one is the furnace room the return or is the return ducted into the furnace.might want to add that return so it picks up the house not just that room
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,026

Are you talking about combustion air or room air return?

Ideally combustion air should come from the outside although with older furnaces this is difficult to accomplish other than by walling off the furnace into a separate smaller room.

The room air return should be from inside the house and not draw from a basement not used as living space with heated air registers. Some elaborate return duct systems have an adjustable outside air inlet but for most residential situations fresh are is gotten from a slightly open window rather than via such a system.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-15-2012 at 08:30 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, intake