DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Add Second Intake to furnace

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  AllanJ 
#1 · (Edited)
Add Second Air Return to furnace

I was just talking to the person that did a lot of modifications to this house over fifteen years. He said that our Payne Plus 80 gas furnace used to have two returns but when he added the addition, he removed one of the returns and didn't replace it. He told me that this furnace can have problems if it doesn't get enough airflow.

We have a room that's just on the other side of the furnace from a wall that doesn't get a lot of air flow. We've been using a fan to blow air out to induce flow. I'd like to put in a second air return on the furnace from this room but I'm not sure quite how to go about it or if it's something that I should try to do. I'm looking for some advice and pointers to information.

Some basic google searches mostly got me info on fresh air intakes, i.e. air from outside. That's definitely -not- what I want. So, now that I've changed it from intakes to returns, let's see if I get better search results.

Thanks,
Darren

#2 ·
I don't know how much return air you need to add. The amount of existing return air and a manometer reading would help...

If you have a horizontal application in the attic it is usually not too difficult to add a 12x12 or a 12x24 filter grill in the ceiling with a 12 inch flex connecting this to the return air plenum.

#5 · (Edited)
Are you talking about combustion air or room air return?

Ideally combustion air should come from the outside although with older furnaces this is difficult to accomplish other than by walling off the furnace into a separate smaller room.

The room air return should be from inside the house and not draw from a basement not used as living space with heated air registers. Some elaborate return duct systems have an adjustable outside air inlet but for most residential situations fresh are is gotten from a slightly open window rather than via such a system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.