Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
walt1122

Share |

add heat to supply during HP reversing?

Hi I have a Frigidare 2 Ton Heat Pump that appears to have a timer to control the reversing valve to de-ice the outside unit. Until I get time to figure that one out and see if I can get it on some timer/temperature sensor anybody like the idea of adding the electric heat from the aux electric coil to the suppy air so I don't have to freeze so often when it does cycle? I know it is more expensive to turn on the coils but it is so uncomfortable to sit here and get super cooled air blowing on me. We had Heat Pumps for many years in our old homes but I don't remember them sending such cold air up through the registers. We have geothermal now at our primary residence and thought a regular air-to-air would be OK at this new winter home in Tenn ( 3 car garage with apartment above). But I'm not so sure. Would be great if there was a way to have the coils come on when it does go through the thaw cycle and even better if it were possible to do at the thermostat so i could put a switch on it and just have it work when we are home with the heat and not come on when nobody is home.

any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Walt
walt1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #2

Connect W from the heat pump up to w on the air handler. That will turn the strips on in defrost.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S. View Post
Connect W from the heat pump up to w on the air handler. That will turn the strips on in defrost.
Yep. thats the standard way. And the best way.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:37 PM   #4
walt1122

thanks guys, I will take a look at it tomorrow. This should be part of the control wiring that is there already right? I would like to try and control it further by having a switch so I could turn it off when not home. I guess could run some bell wire...have to see what control wire ( how many colors) they ran. Maybe have a extra wire or two??

thaks for the help

Walt
Old 02-07-2010, 11:42 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Why turn it off when not at home.
If the defrost cycle is long enough to lower teh temp of the house without the aux coming on. Then the lack of aux is also making your heat pump stay in defrost longer.

Best to let it come on anytime the unit goes into defrost.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
walt1122

Hi Beenthere, the problem is comfort levels near the registers. I don't like the de-ice cycle sending the cold air up into the room specifically at the registers. The Heat Pump does a pretty good job at warming the house without the aux coming on during the normal heating cycle. Fact is I'm pretty sure it is oversized but that is for another post. I never got the literature on the unit so can only speculate on what I am observing until I am able to open up the outside unit and confirm that the system has just a timer to control the defrost cycle times. It seems to do the defrost in warm weather too. Can't see any kind of sensor on outside unit so I'm just guessing. If it is on timer it might be cycling too often cause it is set to work on a bigger house. So I'm just wasting the heat the pump made to defrost a unit that doesn't need defrosting? And I'm bringing the cold air back into the house and cooling me off. So two things 1. I need to get literature and figure out if the unit is on a timer/temp sensor of just timer. and 2. I just want to warm up the air that I feel coming out of the register. I know Heat Pumps send up "warm air" through the register when running properly but I just don't think I want to feel the much more colder air that is part of the defrost cycle. It can do that when I'm not around so that is the purpose of the switch. When I'm home have the electric coils come on to warm up the defrosted cycle returned air and then when we are away just let it run without the electric coils tempering the returning air.

thanks

Walt
Old 02-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

The defrost board doesn't have a timer as in something that looks like a timer.
Its built into the defrost board circuit.
It will have 3 settings. 45, 60, and 90 minutes.
When ever the defrost sensor is below 26F, the timer activates. And for every X minutes of accumulated compressor run time. It will go into defrost weather needed or not.

So it can go into defrost when its 45 outside if its humid out.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
walt1122

thanks beenthere.

Walt