Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #1

Share |

Add blocking to stud cavity for return air?

Ok been working on my upstairs bedrooms and have several project going at once. One of which is trying to determine why I have such poor airflow up there.

I have found that one of my air returns is routed through the attic and is essentially uninsulated and then on top of it has a hole so that will need to get fixed. The register that it originates from is just in a stud cavity of an interior wall which while not the best works. My question is that since the register is near the top of the wall can I and should I add blocking (and caulk) just below it to prevent pulling air from other cavities? Should I do the same for my returns that just go straight down except have the blocking above?

Here is a shot of the duct in the attic that I plan on replacing with a nice foil wrapped duct.

info2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by info2x View Post
Ok been working on my upstairs bedrooms and have several project going at once. One of which is trying to determine why I have such poor airflow up there.

I have found that one of my air returns is routed through the attic and is essentially uninsulated and then on top of it has a hole so that will need to get fixed. The register that it originates from is just in a stud cavity of an interior wall which while not the best works. My question is that since the register is near the top of the wall can I and should I add blocking (and caulk) just below it to prevent pulling air from other cavities? Should I do the same for my returns that just go straight down except have the blocking above?

Here is a shot of the duct in the attic that I plan on replacing with a nice foil wrapped duct.

yes make that as tight as possible on all your returns so it pulling from just the area of its intended purpose...it will help..ben sr

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #3

Thanks. That's what I thought but since I'm not exeperianced with HVAC I figured I would check first.
info2x is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to info2x For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (08-26-2013)
Old 08-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #4

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...39-five-things

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ong-from-start

Gary