Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2006, 12:29 PM   #1

Share |

Accessory questions - UV and filter

Hello all,
I'm new to the forum, so go easy, OK?

I'm finally trading out my old Chrysler Airtemp (1957) for a two-stage, variable speed. And I have two specific questions.

1) UV treatment bulbs have been recommended (not for any specific mold/bacterial problems I have, just as general accessory). I would like to get comments/advice from others on how effective or useful you think UV is for a forced air system.

2)Type of air cleaner. Electronic/electrostatic has been recommended, but I've never had anything but the standard 1" media. Any advice/recommendations regarding air cleaner types?

Thanks, and I look forward to learning a lot here!

houser
houser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Hi houser

The UV bulbs are an excellent buy any time you can afford or have room for them. I am one of those people who loves to experiment. We installed some with the thought that these things were a joke and we just wanted to be able to tell the salesman how big of one they were. We found a duct system that they wanted us to come in and clean that had a bunch of mold in it. The salesman assured us that if we installed these that within a year that the duct system with the use of a good pleated filter would look like new. Believe me crow isn't a very good tasting food, and boy did we have to eat it. Not only did it do what he said, the homeowners allergies were cut by 2/3. The only draw back to them are they have to have the bulbs changed on a annual basis for continued performance. As far as an electrostatic you could not give me one or pay me to put it in anything I own including my trash can. Electronic on the other hand is a good investment if they are properly taken care of. If not you are just wasting a bunch of money. A good quality pleated filter changed every thirty days is the safest bet for the filter.

Good luck
Rusty

Last edited by #CARRIERMAN; 11-29-2006 at 09:36 PM.
#CARRIERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:07 PM   #3

I never was sold on these bulbs. I have been a tech for going on 22 years and there are as many "add ons " as mrs carter has pills. If you upgrade from a 1" filter to a media type (more then 4" wide) Thats money well spent. If you change from a drum style humidifier to a by-pass with no moving parts, thats money well spent, but when you start adding things that really are pink elephants in most cases then its getting to border line gouging.

I am sure that in certian applications these bulbs are worth the money (They are VERY costly initionaly) as well as yearly to maintain. But in most house holds good house keeping skills and proper filtering will get you much better results.
acefurnacefixer is offline   Reply With Quote