Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #1

Share |

ac unit on roof doesnt cool enough

People,

LA area, compressors are on the roof. heat wave last week. House didnt go below 80 F. Comp is older style (not with the bigger condensers these days).

Will a new, efficient condenser/comp put out more cold air? Cool better, keep my house cooler BELOW 80F? All else being equal.......

Alternative is invest in a box/window unit to supplement, but wanted to explore first upgrading the comp/condenser first.

Thanks

Old 09-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Depending how hot it gets on the roof, no. Might not even do as well. R410A tends to lose capacity in very hot ambients.

Have you cleaned your indoor and outdoor coils lately? Changed air filter? When was the last time the charge was checked.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by noquacks View Post
Will a new, efficient condenser/comp put out more cold air? Cool better, keep my house cooler BELOW 80F? All else being equal.......
No. The new AC will give you the same amount of cold air as the old one, all else being equal.

But if the old AC is missing half its refrigerant, then a new AC will give more cold air.

Or if the old AC has a dirty condenser, then the new AC will give more cold air.

Or if you buy a bigger AC, then it will give more cold air
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #4

recently had to have my ac service because it wasn't cooling and found that the valve stems were bad. glad i got the warranty when i got the place, only had to pay $50 for the repair. though i had to wait for a return check for the rest of the 900 bill
redman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #5

as usual, the members here give good advice. Good to know, beenthere and sps. Geez, maybe I should have the pressures checked. I do have a set of guages. can I check the psi on the low side? High side too? What psi's should I expect?

I also will change the filter (hasnt ben done in a while, but remember- in LA ac doesnt run that often as its not really a hot climate, so filter shouldnt be so dirty (right?)).

Coils have not been cleaned recently, I should check!
Old 09-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Yes, check the coils.

I go by super heat and subcool. As there is no one correct pressure for either the high or low side.

Check pressure. Record line temps. Along with both indoor and outdoor temp.