AC Unit Is Blowing Warm Air.. - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

AC unit is blowing warm air..

Greetings all I have an old Tempstar roof unit. I don't know a thing about HVAC so I can't tell you if it's a heat pump or AC unit. It also supplies heat so would this make it a heat pump ? I hate being ignorant on a subject but I just don't know. Any way heres the problem. Last week the unit was on cool & started blowing warm air. We turned it off for a few minutes & turned it back on the air stayed cool for about 20 min. I looked on google for trouble shooting thinking it might be the thermostat. It said the batteries might be bad so I put new batteries in. It worked the rest of the night & into the next day no problems. Later the next day it went out again but now it's getting worse. We leave it off & at night it works fine. We called a repair guy who came out & said it was a bad condenser fan motor bearings. It was going to be $450 + dollars. Plus he wanted to sell some kind of warranty. I told no thanks because my red flags were going off.. So based on what I've explained does it sound like the problem is the condenser fan, and not needing a simple recharge ? Any advise would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisement

JAAG76AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

it could be the fan and the circumstances you post actually do support that possibility in some ways. If the bearings are bad in the fan and it stops running or runs slowly because of that, it could cause exactly what you have presented. Of course, there are other things that could cause the same or very similar actions as well.

One of the best things to do is to find a reputable company that you trust to treat you well. Then, rely on their recommendations. I know, it's hard trying to find somebody that only comes to your house (hopefully) on rare occasions. Recommendations from friends is a good place to start.

while your unit also provides heat, it doesn't necessarily mean it is a heat pump. It might simply be an AC and heat unit combo. Do you know if the compressor (of the roof unit) normally runs when your thermostat calls for heat. If so, then it is likely a heat pump with resistance heat backup for when it is too cold for the heat pump to be effective.

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #3

Yes I think the compressor does run when the heat is on. Thank you for the info. I wasn't sure if the repair guy I called was being truthful. I would of let him fix it but his agressive sales tactics were making me think twice. I'm pretty good a fixing things. I might try to fix it myself I'm trying to find a referance on how to do so..
Old 09-11-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

replacing a fan is a fairly simple task for somebody with much of any mechanical skill. Whenever working with the unit, be sure to turn off all sources of power to avoid a situation that could result in injuries or death.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:29 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,724

As above. It fits with the condenser fan motor being bad.

If you tackle this yourself. Also get a new run cap for the fan motor.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:06 AM   #6

Thank you guys for the info & advise I appreciate it. One last question does $450 sound like a fair price to repair this issue ? Or was this guy price gouging me ? I've found the parts for this job to cost less then $150.
Keep in mind the $450 wasn't including the $59.00 service call we paid him.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

As was stated in one of the posts: Ask your neighbors, friends, relatives, co-workers as to who works on their units and especially IF they are HAPPY with them. No better reference than a satisfied customer. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:23 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,724

I get more then that for some condenser fan motor change outs.

My definition of the word fair.

An agreement that doesn't make either party 100% happy.

You can do it yourself if you want. How long it will take will vary with the tools you have.
Part of that price also includes a warranty if the new motor would go out in a years time. So you don't have to pay a second time.

If you do it yourself. And it goes out in a years time. You get to change it out again yourself. And it could be on a rainy weekend when you don't want to be doing it.

Or a 110 day. Which means it would be 135 plus on the roof.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
blowing warm air , condenser motor , recharge , tempstar , thermostat