DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

AC Unit

698 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  biggles 
#1 ·
I have an 18 year old AC/Furnace unit. It has never given me any issues until today. I will note, however, that the condenser (the fan unit that rests outside) makes a loud noise when the AC is turned on, almost like it is struggling to turn on. This has gone on for about 3 years now. Anyhow, today, after arriving home, I noticed the AC was off. I checked the thermostat and it said it was on, but the unit was clearly off. I checked the breakers and noticed all but one breaker was in the off position. The one that was in the off position had a tag with the word "heater" next to it. I manually turned it on and could hear the condenser unit start up, but then the breaker tripped again. So, I went inside, turned the AC thermostat off, then went back outside, turned the breaker for the AC off and then back on, and then turned the heater breaker back on. I then went back inside my house and turned on the AC. To my surprise, the AC came on. I went back outside to the breaker box, and none of the breakers tripped. Should I be worried about this? I have never had a breaker trip in the past. I am a little more worried because I had my dryer break down this week. The cause is unknown, but I had to replace the heating element due to it cracking. I am wondering if there is an electrical problem, or if this is just something I should forget about. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

#3 ·
the condenser is called a heater on that panel cause it is a heatpump? shut the main panel inside off and check all the wires with a screwdriver...then b go outside and pull the cover on the disconnect check those and pull the condenser panel and check those...IMPORTANT any bubbling of insulation on any loose wires indicates over loading and heat....eye ball that contactor within the condenser if it is black carboned up change it out...local Grainger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.