Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2009, 06:23 PM   #1

Share |

AC Tune Up

Hey guys

I just bought a house with a Trane XL1200 AC unit (no heat pump) outside. I dont have an owners manual and want to do a yearly tune up on it. Honestly i have never worked on an AC unit and wanted to know how to do a few things.

1.) Check and refill the refridgerant
2.) Clean fins (do i have to removed the housing to do this)
3.) Oil any necessary parts
4.) Anything else i should do or check for

I really am a hands on person but don't want to screw up the AC unit out of carelessness. Also if anyone knows where i can get a copy of the owners manual it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance

geist49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

AC Tune Up

Need an EPA cert to check refrigerant charge.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
HVAC / Plumbing

AC Tune Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by geist49 View Post
Hey guys

I just bought a house with a Trane XL1200 AC unit (no heat pump) outside. I dont have an owners manual and want to do a yearly tune up on it. Honestly i have never worked on an AC unit and wanted to know how to do a few things.

1.) Check and refill the refridgerant
2.) Clean fins (do i have to removed the housing to do this)
3.) Oil any necessary parts
4.) Anything else i should do or check for

I really am a hands on person but don't want to screw up the AC unit out of carelessness. Also if anyone knows where i can get a copy of the owners manual it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance

1 - not a DIY
2- yes
3-no
4- none taht I think would be DIY
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:42 PM   #4

AC Tune Up

main things you can do your self. with power off at condenser take garden hose and spray the coils. then your drain line you can do 1 of 2 things. again take garden hose put up to drain line then spray the water into the drain line count to 10 (no more than that or you could flood things inside then stop let water drain out. or if you can take hose to inside take air handler cover off again with power off spray the drain line from that way. next thing you can do if clean inside air handler coil. if you can A coils are hard but can be done. take 409 spray and spray the coils take brush and brush any thing off . the with other spray bottle with just plain water in it spray it again. after all done you can turn power back on . then change filters. those are the things that is supposed to be done when a tune up is performed besides checking the freon. if you are able to or know someone who can do that.
damyankee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:54 PM   #5

AC Tune Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmac View Post
1 - not a DIY
2- yes
3-no
4- none taht I think would be DIY

Listen to this guy.
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:33 PM   #6

AC Tune Up

what i had told you to do you will not have any problems doing its all simple stuff and for someone to say there is nothing else to do they are not helping you at all, if you know some one who does a/c work ask them to show you what im talking about. i worked for a/c companys for yrs. and 90 percent of them will rip you off. if you do hire an a/c company to do a tune up for you and they dont do what i had suggested for you to do then they are crooks and not doing anything to help you but take your money.

Last edited by damyankee007; 04-26-2009 at 07:38 PM.
damyankee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
HVAC / Plumbing

AC Tune Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by damyankee007 View Post
what i had told you to do you will not have any problems doing its all simple stuff and for someone to say there is nothing else to do they are not helping you at all, if you know some one who does a/c work ask them to show you what im talking about. i worked for a/c companys for yrs. and 90 percent of them will rip you off. if you do hire an a/c company to do a tune up for you and they dont do what i had suggested for you to do then they are crooks and not doing anything to help you but take your money.

I did post yes to his second question

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, trane, xl1200