AC Transformer - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

AC Transformer

I consider myself pretty handy, but electrical issues are not my strong point. In a recent power surge, we lost our fridge and a/c unit (Trane ). After paying a repairman to fix the fridge, I was determined to fix the a/c myself. I determined the problem was the 240 V to 24 V 40 VA step down transformer (24 V side is oc). However, I have been having a difficult time buying one because nobody will sell it to me - apparently a liability issue for selling to an unlicensed contractor. A Trane authorized parts dealer (not service tech) told my wife that I could "burn down the house" if I tried to do it myself, so she doesn't want me to do it. I can find plenty of 240V-24V-40VA transformers online, but now I am doubting whether I should do it. Seems like these things should be simple and interchangeable and easy to do if you have enough sense to keep the high and low voltage sides correct.

Can I do this? Would putting in a non-Trane authorized part have any effect on the waranty? It is 1.5 yo and has a 5 year parts and 1 year labor warranty.

I want to replace a Basler Electric BE40136001 transformer with (for example) a White Rogers 90-T40F3S1 transformer. Amazon is out of stock - what is another reputable online dealer?

Thanks,

Dax

Advertisement

Mad Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270

AC Transformer

If you have two eyes, at least one arm, at least half of the wits you were born with and a few basic tools it is very easy. Any 240v step down transformer will work. Most come in 277, 240 and 120 on the primary and 24 volts on the secondary side. In other words you can tap into any of the high side wires (connecting accordingly to what you have, in this case 240) and it will still come out 24 volts.

You just wire nut/cap off the unused wires.

Try an electrical supply house as they sell to anyone.

Advertisement

Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Holliday For This Useful Post:
Mad Dax (09-08-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #3

AC Transformer

That's essentially what I told my wife, but she still thinks I am going to burn down the house.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

AC Transformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dax View Post
That's essentially what I told my wife, but she still thinks I am going to burn down the house.

Tell her to join this forum so she can see that you have experienced hvac technicians here to help you, step by step.

Heck, she could do it it's so easy. It's more troubling taking a shower.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

AC Transformer

It will be labeled on the exisiting and new transformer by way of color and voltage which wire is used for which voltage. In the above picture which is a generic replacement the yellow and blue wires on the left side are the low voltage.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

AC Transformer

Local Grainger #3TZ68 sure they are going to tell you your going to burn the house down...we're not doing brain surgery,but they want you to believe it....warrenty is a judgement calll of the tech and nobody else....change it
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #7
REP

Rewards Points: 500

AC Transformer

Turn the power off at the main breaker.Remove bad transformer.Its only 2 line voltage and 2 low voltage wires and the power will be off.
Write down the complete model and serial number.Take bad part and the model/serial number to a trane dealer and get your part in warranty.Tell them it was replaced by who ever (a contractor) and you want it for a spare.
Take it home ,install it,wire it up with the wires you maked as to where they go,go to main breaker turn on and go get yourself a beverage and some chips and watch your game.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to REP For This Useful Post:
Doc Holliday (09-10-2011), Mad Dax (09-21-2011)
Old 09-21-2011, 09:49 PM   #8

AC Transformer

Thanks for all the advice. I got the transformer in, a/c works and the house is still standing. Bought the part at Grainger and install took about 10 minutes - just in time for fall.

Thanks again,

Dax
Old 09-21-2011, 10:12 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

AC Transformer

If I was going to burn down a house. I don't think a transformer would be my weapon of choice.

Advertisement

Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hvac , transformer