Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2014, 05:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

AC stops cooling well at days end???

Hi,
I noticed today that my AC was working really well. It has been. Except many days around 6pm or so, as it starts to get cooler out, the AC stops working well... and the temp goes up quite a bit in our condo. The thermostat is not programmable. Any thoughts?

For the record, the AC was working great this afternoon, it was left on a few degrees to low, so I turned it back to normal.

wraiththe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:00 PM   #2

Could be several things, but I would check attic insulation. The temps in the attic is probably peaking about that time. You could use an infrared and point it in different locations.

McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:07 PM   #3

What do you mean you said ' AC stop working well ' ? Condenser stop running? no cold air come in at all ? or not cold enough ? or warm air come in at that time ?.
clocert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:06 AM   #4

Not cold enough.
I shut down the AC for a few, then restarted it. That seemed to help and eventually it got cold again. But it took a while.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:30 AM   #5

Need more details to pinpoint the problem. 'not cold enough' --- we need to know what is the input cold air temperature and the room temperature at that time. Also, once you shutdown and restarted the AC, was the outside condenser (both fan and compressor) started right away ? Hand feel the large and small refrigerant pipes outside of the condenser when the AC is not cold enough, are these two pipes warm ? cold ? or hot ?
Old 06-22-2014, 12:51 AM   #6
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 6

return air leak.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:39 PM   #7

I would post more info, but I do not have the tools. Suffice it to say I was losing ground in terms of coolness. The AC was running, but the temp was slowly going up. It also felt more humid, but not outside. Yesterday evening the temp actually read cooler than what the thermostat was set to, by one degree... but the AC and blower (on Auto) was still running. (for at least more than 40 min to a few hours) Wondering if It would be worth it to replace the thermostat... then call the AC guy over if that does not fix the problem.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:33 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 64

Where is the furnace located? Also when was the last time the outside unit was cleaned inside where the compressor is, and on the coils. Is the outside unit on the West Side or South side of the home?

If it is cooling well in the morning, but not later. Two things come to mind. Local electric utility has a unit on the outdoor condensor, to shut it down during peak demand periods. Or it is in an area that is overheating the unit, along with dirty fins.

Post pictures of the outdoor unit, also showing condition of the insulation, note of what side the unit is on the house (N, S, E, W).

Also it could just be Solar gain in the home. South & West windows with drapes always open, or large windows that cannot have blinds or drapes, due to cover two floors. You may want to look into having U/V tint placed on all windows.

Also what location is the thermostat in the condo? Is it in a hallway, or someplace that direct sun can hit it in the afternoon?
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:36 AM   #9

The outside unit is on the north side of the condo (the face.) It had been cooling well during the hottest times of the day. We pay for service twice a year and they were just out in April. The unit looks clean. The thermostat is in the entrance hallway. The front door in inside the building (we have a common hallway.) And sunlight does not hit the thermostat. The furnace is above the AC coils. Apparently this AC is part heat pump?

I remember pulling up all kinds of manuals and descriptions for this unit and today it is like it hardly ever existed. Will provide some more info tomorrow.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:03 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraiththe View Post
I would post more info, but I do not have the tools.
If you don't have a thermometer you need to get one and begin answering some questions rather than asking more questions like; do I need a new thermostat. There is no way anyone can answer that question at this point.

With your new thermometer record the air temperature at the return air filter area or near by room temperature ( return air ) . With that same thermometer record the air temperature at a supply grille ( discharge air ) closest to the unit. With the differential of these two numbers someone may have a chance of moving forward with a solution.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:39 AM   #11
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 64

Thermostat in an entry way. That is half the problem. Someone can bump it, or opening and closing the door in the afternoons, will cause the thermostat to get false information.

The thermostat needs to be moved. Also you do not need to block out the Serial number on the unit. That needs to be shown in the photo. It tells the manufacturing date and year.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #12

While on and during a problem time, can you touch the fatter line coming from the condenser, is it very cold? Describe its temp. IS it sweating?
Old 06-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #13

As mentioned by several posters here, you need to provide some real data in order for us to help you. like temperature of air, room, pipes, etc. I do not know how handy you are, but if getting these data is too much for you, I suggest you call a AC tech to solve your problem. People are now just guessing and bring out all the possibilities. no one really know what's going on.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #14

I will see about getting a thermometer perhaps from Harbor freight.

On returning home around 2 the sun is hot out.
The air blown from the outside unit was not hotter than outside.
The insulated line was cool, but not ice cold, and sweating.
The other line was a little warm.

Inside today it was cool, but it felt quite humid.
As I type this, it feels nice inside, quite cool.
I do not thing the AC has stopped since I got home and seems to be one degree warmer than what the thermostat is set to.

As I said, my next post will have more info, starting over..

Floor plan and thermostat location:
Old 06-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Thermostat in an entry way. That is half the problem. Someone can bump it, or opening and closing the door in the afternoons, will cause the thermostat to get false information.

The thermostat needs to be moved. Also you do not need to block out the Serial number on the unit. That needs to be shown in the photo. It tells the manufacturing date and year.

Wrong.....

The thermostat needs to be somewhat close to the air return, and that would seem to be where it is....

Opening the door would usually have a negligible effect, if any. Unless someone is leaving the door open....

ktkelly is online now   Reply With Quote